Home Adobe Substance

UDIM Issue in SP

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
hwaminjung polycounter lvl 2
Hello, I was wondering if you can get imported texture maps to work in a UDIM workflow in Substance Painter.
I baked all my maps in Marmoset, as I felt like that was getting better results, but I am stuck on how to import it to work correctly in a UDIM Setting. placing the texture map in only affects the 1001 UV Tile.

Replies

• hwaminjung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I managed to figure it out. For anyone who is curious, giving the texture maps the correct naming convention, and importing it will automatically make Painter read it as a UDIM texture map.
    It would be something like "name.1001.png", "name.1002.png" etc.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator

@hwaminjung Hey thanks a lot for mentioning the solution! I actually just ran into the same exact problem and your comment helped me narrow down how to get it to work.

I'll just add to what hwaminjung already said for clarity purposes since it took some messing around for me to get this to work even with his comment here. When you bake udim's in painter, it will sorta combine multiple textures into one group. So if you have 3 udim's and you bake your maps in painter you will have what looks like a normal map with a big number "3" on it... then you will have one for ao, world space, curvature, position, thickness. If you don't know what I mean, try just doing a test bake that you will later throw away to see how it looks. But essentially you should see something like this:

[edit: be careful to NOT name two things the same way as I did here because painter won't let you save your file if you do. (I have 2 x "jacket_01" textures here while I was testing for the solution)... see the windows image I posted at the end for an example naming convention]

When you import your maps from an external program like marmoset they wont get converted to this format by default (like the 3 texture maps shown as one with a 3 on it like above). What you will have by default is each texture map sitting separately, and you cant select more then one at a time to drag it to that mesh maps slot. So you sorta have to "trick" painter to importing it so it looks like my ao map here. Its super annoying and ridiculous it has to be done this way, but for now I guess there is no other solution. So my naming convention in this case was ao_jacket_01.1001, ao_jacket_01.1002, ao_jacket_01.1003 for the 3 maps. In this example they are all ao maps, but if I use the standard "_ao" at the end... then it won't combine the 3 maps into 1 as shown above. This is because you must have ".1001", ".1002", ".1003" at the end with the same name at the beginning respectively. So If I added an "_ao" at the end it won't work upon import. General naming conventions will have you add the "_ao", "_n", "_curve" etc. at the end, but you'll have to break that and do it in the beginning in this case. Anyway, the key take away is that you import them with ".1001", ".1002", "1003"...(with no descriptors at the end). Here is a example of the final naming convention I used in this case to import them all at once:

Hopefully this clarifies it a bit for someone else looking for this solution. Adobe really ought to fix this nonsense. :/

• hwaminjung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Glad I could be of some help! 😅

• wmyy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wmyy8 polycounter lvl 3
    BradMyers82 thank you for such detailed solution, it's what @hwaminjung writed but more explicit and make me understand what i was need to do to get the result :)