Home Adobe Substance

Transformation2D Offset function question

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deginizritli polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone! 

I'm working with Transformation2D node and having a problem with Offset function. 
It's controlled by float2(transform offset) and it works, however, when I use rotation within the same Transformation2D node my axes rotate as well and my offset point goes different direction than shape. 

I need to implement rotation amount to my offset points somehow, any idea about it? 

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Use two transform nodes - that's how matrix transforms work

Rotate first, then move
  • deginizritli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi poopipe! Thank you for the response. 

Thats actually how I published my node but because the offset is on different Transformation node, when the tiling is on, it's breaking. However if I can get what I want in the same transformation node, the tiling wont break. 

I'll attached a screenshot the one with the different transformation node that only controls offset. You can see the tiling wont continue because basically it has new pattern input. 

• gnoop
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I see no screns      You can use   safe transform node for rotate  (with 45 deg  steps only. I don't think you could rotate tileables other way )   and  another one  for the shift, as  poopipe   suggested.     Shift is not very convenient there IMO.  I did my own  that shift  to exact pixel value  if you give it a correct input image size

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can do it in one shot with a pixel processor.  You'll want to transform your UVs and pass those into a sample node.
  • deginizritli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to add the file, my bad! Thanks for the suggestions. 
    The thing is when I do the offset function on another node, tiling breaks. I'm trying to keep it in one Transformation2D node to not to break the tiling. 

• gnoop
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Looks rather like scaling than offset .  Just a guess . 
      Offset adds  position values .   Multiply scales them
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's a little tricky to work out what you're aiming for

I'm not going to dumb this down cos you made those fancy spline based things 

that'll do the xform in one node

it will not make an image that can't tile tile except within itself - because that can't be done

the thing is,  if you want to tile an input and transform it, 9-times out of 10 it's better to use an fx-map

if you need interaction between the input patterns (eg. you want to smooth them etc) then you need to use pixel processor (and if you want to remain sane,  sd-sex)
    At that point you're effectively reproducing the behaviour of an fx-map - it's not difficult as such but you have some hoops to jump through in terms of getting input values in for position etc.  and of course you need to work out how you want to blend the patterns together. 

Igor's particle system nodes are an example of doing this is a general way - they're very cool and very clever.  you can make the same thing in  a much more streamlined fashion for specific use cases though like i did here.

• deginizritli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your insights poopie! I'll definitely check out Igor's particle system nodes. I have a long learning curve ahead of me. 
    I gave it a try with Pixel Processor as well as Fx-Map. 
    With pixel processor, because I use sample gray node, it wouldnt let me alter tiling mode. 
    With FX-map it was pretty straight forward but unlike pixel processor, it doesnt tile, where I want to access to vertical and horizontal tiling as well. 
    I figured out the formula to get the new x and y location of the points but couldnt get it to user to alter. Again, I have a long way to go,. 
    I added the final product, I'm not 100% happy with the rotation offset point. 
    Thanks again!