Home Career & Education

Portfolio applying for an internship

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Terpsichore72 polycounter lvl 3
Hi!

I'm a game art student in France and, well, I have this silly dream of getting an internship at Riot or Blizzard someday. I don't really expect to get it, I'm not unrealistic, but if I don't try, then there is no chance that I'll get one, right?
My other plans include an internship in Paris, maybe at Sloclap? Absolver is great and Sifu looks really good. If you heard of other places creating stylized 3D art where I could go with my level, let me know!

With that in mind, how can I improve my portfolio? Here's the link: https://www.artstation.com/terpsichore
I'd like to get a character art internship. How should I improve the pieces already there? What should I add, or remove? Also, I think I should do more male models, I have a project in mind for that.

Looking forward to your answers!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I like it! I would suggest removing your 'First 3D Art' piece of the blue woman with pink hair. For future projects, I would suggest adding more polys where it matters, so you don't end up seeing those jagged polygon edges in your portfolio. Good luck getting your first job!
  • Terpsichore72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh thank you I'm so glad you like it! I'll definitely try to improve on the topology, thanks for the advice!
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    If you want an internship at Blizzard or Riot, pick one of their characters or a concept art that fits the art direction of one of their games and recreate it at perfection. Like, you could put the character you made in one of their games and nobody would bat an eye. Show that you understand how they work the silhouettes, the color shemes, the textures, materials, etc...

Now, don't feel too disheartened if you don't get in internship there. To be honest, I think you learn a lot more in a smaler studio where you really get to make difference in the game you're creating rather than one of those companies where you're just a cog in a huge machine.
  • Terpsichore72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I had plans on creating a skin for League of Legends, so I'll definitely try to apply that to the fullest!

Also, I'm not trying to get my hopes too high, I know it's very hard to land there. I have back up plans for other interesting internships, and projects that might help me get one in the next years. I know it can take a lot of time to get to that level, but it just motivates me more to persevere! 

Thanks for your answer!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    do those companies actually do internships for foreign students? how are they getting into the country? with a students visa? i know for juniors its pretty much impossible to get any working visa

first thoughts from a quick check of your assets. work on your cleanlyness. your models are appealing, so you already are on a good track here. But model, texturing, uvs. its all very lose and in some parts straight up messy work.
    The UVs are wobbly and randomly arranged. The Polygon/Density distribution is all over the place. sculpts could use some polish and especially on the more hard surface parts needs more modelling, less zbrush noodling
  • Terpsichore72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, they say it's possible, it is probably hard with paperwork though. I already have a date for my TOEFL test, needed for an internship visa. Then I need their approval for the internship to start the administrative parts for the visa itself. At least that's my theory, they don't say much on their website about it except "authorized to work in the US", I'm just looking at what the US administration websites say about internship visas.

Yeah, I have been noticing that I'm pretty bad at those more "technical" parts with topology and UV, and hard surface too. I've been improving quite slowly from model to model, so now I'm trying to learn by looking at good topologies and UVs, and tutorials. I'll definitely try to apply it on the next model I work on, hopefully the League of Legends skin. Thanks for pointing that out! Also, I'm happy you think they're appealing :)

Thank you for answering!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    then definitely check all their steps in terms of quality. you can get ripped lowpoly 3d models to check the UVs, the textures etc. the highpolies are likely on artstation to be gazed at.

you got this