Hey everyone! For this fall I'll be working on a lab scene involving plants. Any Critiques are welcome.
This is my initial blockout of the scene, I may rearrange the incubators to the wall.
----https://www.artstation.com/artwork/b5gJaa <---Finished can be viewed in link
Oh Right! Sorry about that!
I'm trying to achieve several renders of the lab. Any suggestions or tips are always welcome
C&C are always welcome
I don't know that much in lighting. Other people will probably have better feedback than me.
But more generally, if you want to have the focus on the incubator on the right side on your picture maybe you should slightly lower the importance of the blue screen and the closet top left (lighting ?). This was the two first things i noticed when I saw your shot. Maybe add something that lead to the incubator ? But maybe you already planned this
Goals for this week are:
-Finish texturing Plant incubators
-Texture Walls, floor, and ceiling.
-Still to add:
-Clutter on table (notebook, tablets, pencils, etc)
-Cables to Incubators
-Small Greenhouse details.
C&C are always welcome 😊
I'm in the last push for the project! Though I'm debating if I should pull some lighting out or keep it. I removed the shelf since it was somewhat out of place. I put a cabinet for the moment as I do plan on having something there.
Decals and posters were made in Photoshop.
I decided to pull the light from the ceiling away and went back towards the idea that this was in a basement of some sort.
One noticeable thing is that the parts of the scene which are not lit directly merge together, as they are evenly black.
Either could use some indirect light, which might be tricky to achieve since the dark colors will give little bounce light, or some reflections (as you do in the foreground) to create some separation. Maybe you have to fake it. What do you use for rendering? Do you already use baked lighting?
attempt to show what I mean (looks a bit like fog )
could be a strip of diffuse light (leds or something) along the walls?
Humm...I like that idea of adding some sort of background light where you put the fog. I'll have to experiment on how to achieve that. Thank you for your input. I'm glad you're enjoying the process so far.
Now that you mention it, the posters do distract from the main setting. As for the fridge...thing...honestly I was thinking about converting it into a generator of sorts. I'll have to play around with it some more.
Thank you for your input though
Update: Added fog and backlight. Also I changed the textures on the ceiling and walls.
I have removed the white mini-fridge (Idk what it was really lol) and replaced it with a generator I modeled. Textures will come next off course.
I don't think this generator is the best choice - looks more primitive than the rest of the environment (and the noise would probably drive the person working there crazy ). A detailed looking box shaped module is fine imo (file cabinet, cooler, computer?).
What are your references for the scene? I would use an existing location as inspiration/guideline for the design elements (prop design, room design, typography + graphic design, ...).
Keep it up
I initially wanted to have it more futuristic however a lot of people who viewed the pictures always came to the conclusion this took place in a basement. It got me thinking that perhaps this was some unfunded basement lab which, of course, would mean I have to redo some of the assets.
However! I will take into considering on what you have suggested.
This was the reference I used with obvious changes made.
Here are some observations I would make (mainly scale and materials). Of course I understand that you give it your own spin and don't necessarily try to match the ref 1 to 1 - more in case you want to compare to your own observations.
I think it's nice to apply materials to early blockout (scans for wip?) to get an approximation how the light will react with the surfaces.
As I see it, lighter base colors of the room materials would lead to more bounce lighting - lighter scene.
Thank you for the marks. It really helps out and makes me start thinking of other areas that could also use some work.
Here is what I managed to come up with, the materials and textures have been updated as well as adding a server in replacement of the generator.
Another angle of the incubators to highlight the imperfections on the textures. Just need to tweak lighting and post processing. I'm almost to the end!
I have finally finished the project! I want to thank everyone who helped me along the way with your awesome advice.
You can find more on Artstation!