Home Technical Talk

Tiling wall texture with trim sheet, Texel density issue

bigbuddy
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
bigbuddy polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys i am currently working on a small modular hallway environment. The goal for this project is to learn modular environments and trimsheets. I have a similar wall like this
I
For the red one i am using a damaged wall plaster tiling texture and for the blue one i was planning to use a trim sheet, But what happens is there is a major difference in texel density if i keep them right next to each other. I am following a texel density of 512px / M.

As shown in the Image1: I have a wall which is 400cm in Width and 300cm in height and the wood paneling is around 120cm tall. On the second image i have a texel density set to 512px / m and all looks fine in checker I have a wooden paneling mapped to that red marked area in the UV. On the 3rd image i scaled the wooden paneling to match the trim sheet i am losing the texel density. I know this is suppose to happen but is it okay to break the texel density in this case? The difference seems to be too much in here.

I have done props before and i know how things work there either overlap or use another sheet if things don't lineup, But for environments i have no idea how they work together. So is it ok to break texel density in this case? Or is there any other method? In my trim sheet i will also be adding plain wood and same paneling details for tables and other furnitures.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's ok to use uneven texel density, in fact it's difficult not to whenever using trim sheets. 

A good solution here would be to model to the grid, especially important for modular models. In this case, you could make the wood panel 1 meter tall, by 4 meters wide. Panel texture 1024x512, tiled 2x across the width of the model. The plaster texture could be 1024x1024 and also tile 2x across the width.

If you specifically needed exactly 120cm tall instead of 100, it would be fine to scale the trim geometry upwards a bit. The non-square texels would be hardly noticeable.

You could add a small tiling "detail" texture for closeups, paint strokes for the lower part, plaster scuffs for the upper part.

You could also add decals for specific dirt/splatter/wear features.