Home Career & Education

Books you would recommend for 3D art?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
MatCGI polycounter lvl 2
I've read the PBR guide, and am currently reading Anatomy for 3D artists, as well as Digital Modelling by william vaughaun.  I'm looking for something that teaches fundamentals, nothing software specific.  Anything that's helped you, really.  Thank you in advance!

Replies

• AwryChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AwryChaos polycounter lvl 2
    Three books I recommend are:

Color and Light by James Gurney
    Digital Lighting and Rendering by Jeremy Birn
    Illuminated Pixels by Virginia Bowman Wissler

James Gurney does traditional painting but everything he teaches in his book applies to 3D Lighting and Texturing. Birn's book is pretty much the industry standard for Lighting & Rendering. Wissler's book explains the concepts of Lighting and Rendering in detail and gives you information everyone should know by heart.
  • MatCGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MatCGI polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you so much!!!  Excited to read these.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

On or about that same year I'd already been messing around inside Blender and was looking for text books, nothing fancy just straightforward basic polygonal fundamentals that in turn has enabled further development push/pulling verts, since.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This book is really great at composition basics. It goes over so many things, like how to make images feel deep or flat, or the different types of composition and how it makes the viewer feel. It uses scenes from a ton of well known movies and explains why the cinematographer used certain techniques. Really easy to read and really interesting.