Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge | November - December (75)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Pinkfox interpolator
Hey everyone! Welcome to the 75th iteration of the Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge for the months of November and December 2021!

The challenge is a way for real-time 3D artists to test their skills and create a piece of work based on concepts provided. It's open to those of all skill levels and we do our best to provide meaningful feedback along the way so everyone can come away from the challenge with actionable points on which they can improve their craft!

Anyone is welcome in this challenge no matter your skill level! It's a test of your own ability not a competition between members. We're all here to improve as artists and learn from each other.

- ENVIRONMENTS -

HARD SURFACE ENVIRONMENT:
Dead Space 2 & 3 concept art by Joseph Cross (Thanks for the suggestion in a previous voting thread @Łukasz )
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/28zWba

STYLIZED ENVIRONMENT:
Zephyrus - Boss Environment Concept by Adam "Forange" Törn
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xJg6LY

- PROPS -

HARD SURFACE PROP:
Prop design/searchlight by tryo
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zO8rl6

STYLIZED PROP:

- RULES -

Please read all the rules before starting:
  • Try to post at least one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.
  • Try your best to finish as much as you can in the time frame provided, but remember even if you don't finish by the end of the challenge we encourage you to keep pushing and finish your piece!
  • Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. Please avoid creating a new thread as we don't want to spam out the forums.
  • It is recommended to use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine, Unity, and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used but feel free to use any alternatives that you want. (Marmoset Toolbag for example.)
  • Feel free to change up your chosen concept a bit if you want! Interpret these concepts to your liking, especially if your aim is to add storytelling elements.
  • If you finish your project and decide to post it to Artstation, make sure you give credit to the concept artist in the form of a link to their profile. Additionally, it is recommended to ask a concept artist for their permission to post a 3D piece based on their work before doing so.

- RECOMMENDATIONS -

• When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing. Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on. 
  • Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, don't be afraid to make it your own.
  • We strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel.
The goal is to learn and grow both artistically and in your ability to both give and receive critique, but don't stress about it and remember to have fun!

Good luck!

Replies

• Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox interpolator
    Went ahead and converted this thread to the challenge thread as there wasn't any activity in voting this go around. Excited to see what comes out of the community this go around! The last cycle was pretty exciting. :D
  • Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox interpolator
    @efwfew16 Glad to have you on board! The challenge ends December 31st, so feel free to take your time on it.

Something that might help at least with the width of certain things is the sketches at the bottom of the ArtStation post showing a side view of the concept. Might be worth checking out if you wanted to avoid having to eye ball some parts of it too much. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xJg6LY
  • Steen
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 14
    Looking great so far @efwfew16! Really liking all of the inset details you've got in there. I'm totally feeling your pain on those thronelike sections. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out the scale and proportion of things and have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of places where I just have to make decisions about how I want it to look. There's a lot of good concept there to work with, but it doesn't all quite add up when you try to put it together in 3d space. The cool thing about that is that we're going to have our own different takes on things. Looking forward to seeing more!

• efwfew16
    Offline / Send Message
    efwfew16 polycounter lvl 2
    Pinkfox said:
    @efwfew16 Glad to have you on board! The challenge ends December 31st, so feel free to take your time on it.

Something that might help at least with the width of certain things is the sketches at the bottom of the ArtStation post showing a side view of the concept. Might be worth checking out if you wanted to avoid having to eye ball some parts of it too much. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xJg6LY

For some reason I thought it ended at the start of December so I started pretty fast and I didn't even check the artstation posts with the other shots. That was a stupid move on my part, but well live and learn. Right now i'm working on the floor,not sure if the floor width get smaller after the two bird statues, (on some image it does look like it's smaller but i'm not sure,  I think i'm gonna have to guess and choose.) Also with the pillars; not really sure of their placement numbers, or if it's the vegetation on bottom right/perspective that's hiding/confusing me. Like are they at the edge ? because on the bottom pic it looks like it's in the middle, but at the same time on the other side it looks like it's at the edge  :'(:anguished:   i'm not that good at analysing those stuffs lol
    Steen said:
    Looking great so far @efwfew16! Really liking all of the inset details you've got in there. I'm totally feeling your pain on those thronelike sections. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out the scale and proportion of things and have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of places where I just have to make decisions about how I want it to look. There's a lot of good concept there to work with, but it doesn't all quite add up when you try to put it together in 3d space. The cool thing about that is that we're going to have our own different takes on things. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks and nice! cool to have someone else. Yes at first when I saw the concept I thought that since it was symmetrical it was gonna be a walk in the park but actually the blockout is not that easy haha, especially the floor

• Skrupps
    Offline / Send Message
    Skrupps polycounter lvl 2
    First time doing one of these challenges but I want to take a stab at this one. I love the design and I feel like it has a lot of opportunities for sculpting practice. Looking at the Artstation post I noticed that its a lot smaller than it looks from the concept, I initially thought it'd tower over an average male model but its just under. For the most part I'm noticing that I can probably work on the scale and proportion of the face pieces. Really looking forward to how this project will go and to see others projects!

• yashar98
    Offline / Send Message
    yashar98 polycounter lvl 6
    i finished the blockout

• Steen
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 14
    Looking solid @yashar98. I'm curious about how you're going to approach sculpting. Are you going to try to join all of those parts together beforehand or sculpt on individual pieces? Are you sculpting in Blender?
  • yashar98
    Offline / Send Message
    yashar98 polycounter lvl 6
    Steen said:
    Looking solid @yashar98. I'm curious about how you're going to approach sculpting. Are you going to try to join all of those parts together beforehand or sculpt on individual pieces? Are you sculpting in Blender?
    thank you my friend. i think not needed to join all of them. some parts like tooth is better to be separated.
    for sculpting i always use zbrush.
  • PuuroMan
    Offline / Send Message
    PuuroMan triangle
    So my first post in this thread. I chose to create my enviroment from dead space concept art. This is easily the most complicated 3d enviroment i created. So much to do. First thing to learn was trimsheets. Not sure if im doing right. My material is very simple and ive seen people use much more sophisticated materials with trimsheets. I hope i can finish this enviroment to completion until deadline. But this is very fun! 

so this is the main prop in the scene and i decided to finish that one first. Still some pipes to do for it. Next i will move to floor etc.
    bit empty still :D
  • atunnard
    Offline / Send Message
    atunnard polycounter lvl 4
    Will be joining on the prop challenge. Block out done.
    httpsiimgurcomuDNJdZFpng