Home Career & Education

Any advice for students asking for studio tours?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
JacobCW polycounter lvl 2
Hello I'm currently a third year Games Art student and part of our coursework is to reach out to companies in groups and request either a studio tour or company interview

I was wondering if there is any advice form anyone in the industry on the most professional way to tackle this?

Is this something that studios are happy to do? 

Any advice is appreciated thank you :)

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It will depend on the studio and which stage of whatever project they're working on.  I've been a first party studios that were happy to do it at while working on unannounced exclusives and indies who think everything they're working on is a military secret. 

Simply be polite and friendly.  if there's an opportunity for the studio to gain from it (eg. publicity or future hires) then they will be more inclined to absorb the cost of doing it (there is a cost, and it is not insignificant)
  • JacobCW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacobCW polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you so much for the advice, the interview would primarily be about what its like actually working for the company and their expectations for new hires rather than about their current projects

Although I am a bit curious as to what you mean by cost exactly? I would love to know what you mean by that :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Who will have to prepare all this for you? Who will you distract, who will not work while you are there? Who will not make money but spend it when you are there? ;)

there are always costs