Home Career & Education

First job: 3d Artist

Woods1
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Woods1 polycounter lvl 4
I have been looking for work these past days, mouths, years and now i land a job finally. And there is a problem I'm the worst of all of the new artist there. i cant meet the deadline and schedule, my work needs a lot of revision and everyone except me had a project a real project to do and me still in training. even my supervision and team leader doesn't care they just ignore me, maybe they are busy but still.  what should i do? should i still be a burden or just quit it.

for background I'm want to be a 3d environment artist and train myself to be and the  job is 3d artist meaning generalist and the team i assigned is commonly animation sometime they make prop and environment but only sometimes.

PS i am not trying to be that guy that is unhappy to his job because that is not his profession or what ever. I'm just sad what is happening to me.
thank for reading.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Never quit. Some Artists need more time. Just push and give your best. Learn in the evening and on the weekend. 

But dont forget to take a break. 
  • neilberard
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    If they are mostly asking you to do animation and that is not what you are interested in, start looking for another job. Don't necessarily quit, but work on your portfolio and gear it toward what you actually want to do.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    It's OK. It's your first job, you're not meant to be fast. If they wanted someone fast, they would have hired a senior. Just make sure to take the extra time to polish your work so you get less revisions, don't rush yourself.
  • Woods1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woods1 polycounter lvl 4
    It's OK. It's your first job, you're not meant to be fast. If they wanted someone fast, they would have hired a senior. Just make sure to take the extra time to polish your work so you get less revisions, don't rush yourself.

it make sense, thanks.
  • Woods1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woods1 polycounter lvl 4
    If they are mostly asking you to do animation and that is not what you are interested in, start looking for another job. Don't necessarily quit, but work on your portfolio and gear it toward what you actually want to do.

its kinda sad, when i was looking for a job there aren't any available position for environment art. few days after they hired me i check on the jobs listing site and hold and be hold there is a lot of 3d environment artist needed especially there are small company/studio near to my location. i will keep in mind what you said.
  • Woods1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woods1 polycounter lvl 4
    thanks everyone i will try my best and take your advice, i will take some animation classes/tutorial at my free time and some 3d environment tutorial to keep my skill and improve in this particular area, i will give my best shot and never to forget take a break to avoid frustration.

thank you.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah never jump unitl you are pushed :) just stick with it, they hired you for a reason
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    focus_method polycounter lvl 4
    if they see you are not good artist they will push you more to technical side.
    Speaking of your happiness. If You  keep seeking only for passion you will always get into problems with yourself.
    A job is a job. You need to always do something you dont like thats why they pay you.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    yeeeah, 
    wouldn't call that the most motivational post ever 

So,  

I've been managing artists (among other things) for years and I very rarely encounter a young one that can't be fixed (it's the old bastards like me you can't save)

A lot of the time artistic quality issues come from a problem with communication of ideas. Usually the best fix is to have the artist in question and their lead discuss concept art together, during which the lead should explain the important aspects of the concept art from their perspective and listen to the artist's interpretation of the same. 
    It could be that your leads etc. haven't clocked this - it took me a few years - but you could solve that by prompting discussion if you have uncertainty about what they're looking for in a given piece. 

The speed thing gets fixed with practice and experience, worrying about it early on is entirely self-destructive.
    My hands are fucked, I definitely can't move as fast as you, have to use my pointing finger to right/middle click and I can't operate a mouse solidly for more than an hour without pain but I can beat most junior/standard artists to the same result because I have 25 years of experience at making good decisions while I'm doing it.