Home Technical Talk

[Blender] Animation Pipeline for Universal Weapon Switching system before exporting to Game Engine.

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hey there! I am trying to export my character to Unity 2021. I am using blender 2.90.
My character is so simple like a PS1 character style (similar to doom or whatever)
My goal is to create a Main character animation to export to Unity 2021 . But I got some question , to organize my workflow before expand my animations and weapon's design.

As an intro , my character is a experience soldier, who wants different weapons for different monster. (all pistol kills A, all machines Kill B ,etc).

I am following so many youtuber's using blender for animations with weapons, but I like to go a step foward, doing the correct way to export things, and also try to make a universal good workflow for me, and other devs.

Intro :+1:

My weapons do not need (reloading animations , cause the game mood is like ps1)
My weapons do not need to be realistic.
I separate the weapon in class (for Programming reason and scripting  purpose as well) class pistol share almos the same aiming animation, also the shooting animations is similar (cause they are pistol) . Shotguns and heavy weapons such as M4a1 are similar in terms of Aiming and shooting but differten in terms of reloading (shotguns are different way of reloding rather than a m4a1 for example). So now the Intro is finish , I am looking for the next question that I was wondering in my plan of development.

Question :+1:

1- Do I need to keyframe my weapon's rotation and position ? (using extra bones for the main rig , whichi is this , is the character's rig).
2 - Or do I need a contraints (type of child of, follow path, track to , copy rotation, etc) ? Do I need a constraint in relation with character's hand and weapons? (Unity does not support blender's constraint!!! so what is the best way? if I choose this).
3- I animate all my weapons movement via "empty"? (this method allows me to track and put keyframes in the empties , and the weapons copy the postion and rotations of the empty via "copy contraint" ? .

I am very worry about choosing a method! because I do not want to mess the avatar template when I export my character to Unity... After all, if I try to make a game dev is not enough to just to know blender's trick. Part of my goal is not deal with avatar, I do not want my weapon, or any weapon interfiere with my avatar. I like to see the "avatar" all green with a good name convenction. 

I just looking for unity's dev experience answers (only). For me is very important the experience and share the tricks.
this is a sheet of what I am thinking.

What workflow is the best?