Home Technical Talk

Alpha texture border seam extension

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello, untill nowI have used with total satisfaction flaming pear solidify B filter, to extend the texture border colors of a transparent image to the infinite till borders limits of the texture map, recently for dunno what reasons all borders start with black pixel surrounding the alpha shape of the texture and then starts the color, I dunno if this can be derived from changes I did to the hardware of my pc , anyway is no more satisfying ...

Do you know how I can fix this or eventually if I should drop Flaming pear and go somwherelse?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edge padding ideally should be done by the baking tool, not in Photoshop. 

The alpha in Photoshop is usually antialiased, so Solidify smears those dark pixels outwards. For best results with Solidify, you need to force the baker to alias only on uv edges.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Edge padding ideally should be done by the baking tool, not in Photoshop. 

The alpha in Photoshop is usually antialiased, so Solidify smears those dark pixels outwards. For best results with Solidify, you need to force the baker to alias only on uv edges.

I know but I am doing sometimes texture cuts directly in PS.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    Solidify does nothing wrong . it's just the alpha /half transparent pixels on the very edge in your case have something black in them .    It often happens when you do  "multiplied alpha"  when   rendering / baking sometimes  with basically alpha channel is being multiplied over RGB channels.    

If it's the case  you have a few solutions :
    a)   instruct 3d soft to do  "un-premultiplied"  render 
    b)  save you render as floating point exr and cancel the multiplying  by doing opposite thing : divide your render  to alpha .  In Photoshop 32 bit mode for example.