Home Technical Talk

Mesh Normal issue Maya

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
ravset polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to solve this but can't find the solution anywhere. After editing some meshes in Maya, their normals starts to look like they're bent inwards. 
This happens whenever I do any changes to meshes. I tried fixing the normals with a variety of methods within Maya, but I just can't get it working. 
Also they where created originally in Blender
Thank you all

The screenshot is from Unity but it looks like this everywhere else.

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
     If you unlocked/reset normals in Maya on the mesh and do some mesh editing, Maya might change all the normals on the mesh, invalidating normal maps.Turn off face weighted normals in Maya will help stop it breaking mesh normals for seemingly no reason,  (no reason what so ever to globally apply a face weighted custom normals on everything by default). But still, you might still have been having mesh normal errors  before even getting to Maya or exporting and importing causing you issues.

One thing you could try is transfer attributes from a copy of the mesh where the normals aren't borked from editing. It would be good to actually look at what is changing on the vert normals as well, as seeing how the normals are modified between the 2 versions of the mesh could help you figure out what is happening.

You might be best either remaking the shading in Maya so you know it's how you want it for export, and then rebaking after you know your normals aren't going to change (ie after all mesh editing is done, which appears is after going through Maya)

• ravset
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ravset polycounter lvl 9
    Ghogiel said:
     If you unlocked/reset normals in Maya on the mesh and do some mesh editing, Maya might change all the normals on the mesh, invalidating normal maps.Turn off face weighted normals in Maya will help stop it breaking mesh normals for seemingly no reason,  (no reason what so ever to globally apply a face weighted custom normals on everything by default). But still, you might still have been having mesh normal errors  before even getting to Maya or exporting and importing causing you issues.

One thing you could try is transfer attributes from a copy of the mesh where the normals aren't borked from editing. It would be good to actually look at what is changing on the vert normals as well, as seeing how the normals are modified between the 2 versions of the mesh could help you figure out what is happening.

You might be best either remaking the shading in Maya so you know it's how you want it for export, and then rebaking after you know your normals aren't going to change (ie after all mesh editing is done, which appears is after going through Maya)

Many thanks for the options :)
    I'm going to test them today to see which works best.