Home Career & Education

Learning material suggestions?

I went to a college for 3d art, my program got messed with so I didn't get a chance to learn stuff later in the pipeline and substance. After that I got caught in the tide of debt and making ends meet. Now its roughly 5 years later, with limited modeling in between, so my knowledge set is oddly patchy. I know enough that absolute beginner courses over UI and stuff doesn't quite feel like a good fit. I've started 5 times as many projects as I have finished, sculpting feeling fun and breezy, but sadly never textured or ready for export.

At this point I know its going to be lots of leg work and practice, but I'm worried about developing weird janky habits self teaching. Retop wasn't even covered in class, it was something I started doing on my own. I later found out my cool clever topology solution was actually a 3 point pole, and that if possible I should be avoiding it.

I'm a little uncertain about my direction right now, but I'd say my long term end goal would be working as a 3d character artist with a focus on animals and monsters. Hearing about how competitive character art can be does make me wonder about dipping my feet deeper into rigging or effects animation to see if I like it well enough.

Any input on learning resources you like using, or just any thoughts about character/creature modeling would be appreciated!

Replies