Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

shelter game environment art

a piece that i'm working on for job portfolio as a game environment artist ... feedback are so much appreciated ...
maya and zbrush for basic low poly and high poly models and baked details in substance .
used ue5 lumen for lighting and final composition. 

Replies

• radet5
    Hi Omar! I've got a fair amount of feedback for you which hopefully will be helpful. I'm certainly not a professional so I can't provide a real expert opinion but I have studied quite a bit and I can share my thoughts on a peer-review level. I'm not sure where in the process you are on this scene so I'm just going to list everything that stands out to me on first impression, knowing that you may already be well aware of the issues.

Big Picture
    On a high level I'd recommend putting some more thought into the visual storytelling of your scene which will give the player a sense of immersion. For interiors I find it helpful to have some idea of 1) who built the space, 2) what purpose/purposes they built the space for and 3) what has happened here before the player arrived. Not all of that has to be fully communicated in the scene, but the more you can incorporate the more real it's going to feel.

For the room's purpose this scene has some inconsistencies content-wise which pull it in too many directions. The beds, couches, dressers and armchairs imply living quarters and downtime for the crew/passengers, but the white desk looks like a medical station but it seems to have food/drink containers on it, the chemicals on the shelf suggest an industrial space or laboratory, and the airlock doors suggest a loading bay or entry point (not to mention that they're blocked by chairs). Now a small ship or station could potentially have some of these spaces combined, but it be done in a much more efficient manner and be much more conservative with use of the space.

I would recommend picking one or two of these functions and focus on that. Living quarters seems to be the most prominent so you could for instance re-work the airlocks to look like regular access panels and not have them blocked by chairs, take the medical/lab makings off of the desk and perhaps give it a less sterile texture, replace the chemicals with stored food and water. If you do multi-function then either give them more physical separation within the room or make them look more modular (like desks/beds that fold into the wall) and maybe make the beds into bunk beds. There's also a few assets on the other end of the room which I can't tell what they're supposed to be. Some sort of tanks and a stand? In a different context the mysterious tanks might make sense but as-is unless it's a mystery the player should be trying to unravel or marvelous tech then it should be more obvious at first glance otherwise it's just detracting from the impact of the scene.

There is very little indication of what has happened here. The "CAUTION" on all the displays is the best indication we get, but nothing else about the environment implies any kind of emergency has occurred. If there is no emergency and this is meant to be more of just a general reminder to residents to be careful it doesn't make a lot of sense given that there does appear to be anything dangerous around which would warrant due caution. This space also feels neither live-in nor abandoned. There is no dirt, no food, no personal items, no dust, everything is in plastic-perfect condition. Perhaps part of the world building is that this is a very strict station and everyone is VERY clean and tidy but even in that case there should be something which indicates this, like labelled and very organized storage, lots of cleaning products and tools, maybe notes or signs reminding everyone of the importance of cleaning mandates and repairs. Though I think even in this case there will be SOME wear-and-tear.

Technical and Artistic Details
    Some of the textures have been stretched too far and the artifacts are distracting. Particularly the octagonal shapes on the floor and the texture across the walls. Also besides being to stretched, that texture seems too randomly placed and noisy. I think it works for the ceiling but it is too much going all over all the walls.

The different sections of the flooring need something to divide or transition between where the seams of the textures meet. particularly the metallic triangles. Even just a long thin beveled grey rectangle to serve as trim would probably work.

The normals on the couches and chairs seems too high and the roughness too low.

The door on the far end blends into the walls too much.

Ok that's all I have at a glance! Hopefully some of that is useful. I look forward to seeing what you do with the project!