Home Career & Education

Platforms for Sketchbook Showcasing

node
Hi all! I'm hoping someone can help me out here - I want to share my physical sketchbook online, as with online work becoming ever more present and most job interviews now being held over-the-phone, I'd love to be able to share my sketchbooks with people, even though I'm not sitting across from them. I think evidencing constant practice and a general love of the arts is important in these interviews, so this means a lot to me.

TLDR - Does anyone know a good site where I can showcase my physical sketchbook? Something formatted in a user-friendly way, that won't just be a long list of images on a webpage? (i.e. I'm aware of sites like this, artstation, etc., but they're not quite fitting the bill)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @renderhjs used to have a book-like interface for their website, but it was built in Flash which has since been deprecated so it no longer renders (even if you dig around in the Wayback Machine). Here's a video of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-v3yYxt7P4

However I would recommend that you re-think this approach. The more complicated you make your interface, the more barriers you install for people to view it. Content should always triumph over flashiness. 

Also an important part of the portfolio process is to reduce reduce reduce! Choose only the best of the best, everything else should be discarded. Viewers, and especially hiring managers, have little patience. You have less than 5 seconds to capture the initial attention, and patience wanes quickly as they dive deeper into your portfolio.

Your Portfolio Repels Jobs is still relevant, 16 (!) years later.
  • SarahNotu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SarahNotu node
    @renderhjs used to have a book-like interface for their website, but it was built in Flash which has since been deprecated so it no longer renders (even if you dig around in the Wayback Machine). Here's a video of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-v3yYxt7P4

However I would recommend that you re-think this approach. The more complicated you make your interface, the more barriers you install for people to view it. Content should always triumph over flashiness. 

Also an important part of the portfolio process is to reduce reduce reduce! Choose only the best of the best, everything else should be discarded. Viewers, and especially hiring managers, have little patience. You have less than 5 seconds to capture the initial attention, and patience wanes quickly as they dive deeper into your portfolio.

Your Portfolio Repels Jobs is still relevant, 16 (!) years later.
    Funny enough I looked through your 'Your Portfolio Repels Jobs' post just the other day and took some notes, it was really useful. Would you, in that case, advise not to showcase work like this online? My goal was to demonstrate drawing communication skills and art 'passion', but do you think this would instead be detrimental to my portfolio/employability? I worry that my portfolio is too empty ':D thanks for your feedback
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Portfolio contents depends what kind of job you're applying for. I've seen artists get hired with just four pieces. Quality matters, not quantity.