Home Technical Talk

3dsmax opacity map issue

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi , I am having an issue with 3dsmax 2022 , I was used to the older ones that with standard material I could just add opacity map black and white and I got transparency , instead with the physical material , dunno what I am doing wrong but I can't get simple alpha map , I get a see trought unwanted effect when I actvate opacity ... I want the cut out to be crisp and not see trought , here a better explanatory vieo ...

Replies

• coven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coven polycounter lvl 6
    I'm not an expert on maps and materials, but I'm pretty sure the cutout map is absolute, meaning it's either there or not. Grayscales won't give you a gradient transparency. You might want to add a map to the Transparency map slot instead.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    coven said:
    I'm not an expert on maps and materials, but I'm pretty sure the cutout map is absolute, meaning it's either there or not. Grayscales won't give you a gradient transparency. You might want to add a map to the Transparency map slot instead.

Tried also that but no result.
  • othyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    othyz polycounter lvl 6
    i think it's just a display problem if you render or import in a game engine it will work.
    check shaded with maps or realistic with map ( if not working click on the top left of your viewport to change to high quality )

• Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    NAIMA said:
    coven said:

Tried also that but no result.
    In spite of its name; it's not absolute. The gradient should also be visible with a cutout map.

If what othyz above says doesn't work, have you tried other materials like the PBR materials?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I see that with standard shading happens with high quality not , I remember though that older versions of 3dsmax didn't have this issue with standard shading .
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If viewport preview is important to you, then make a directx shader, and use that. Then you'll get very close to what a game engine offers. Check out Shader FX.