Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How to polish this gas bottle / welding cart asset?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello!
I am quite new to this forum but I thought I should give it a go sometimes!

I'm working on this asset for school, our teacher gave us a model and we had to texture it (with Substance Painter) in the most accurate way possible.
But I feel stuck, I don't know how to improve it further and yet I feel there's room for improvement. So I'm asking for your help!

Thanks for your answer!

Replies

• Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey there!
    First thing I do before texturing is to gather up reference images. In your case you can google keywords pertaining to your model - worn painted metal, medical cart, welding equipment, etc.... Then go grab the free app PureRef -  https://www.pureref.com/ and create a mood board to use as reference for your texturing. Good luck! I hope you get more suggestions!

Daf

• terpsichore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Thanks for your answer! I actually started the project by making a pureref! Here are some of my main references:

I just don't think I'm approaching my references accurately enough, or there is something missing to make it cool
    What do you think?
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    The material definition needs more attention. I would study the refs and try to understand how the materials should be created. What is the material type, what is beneath it, what is the coating if any, etc.
    Also try to capture high resolution screenshots and then rescale them as the normal res screenshots limits texture resolution.
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey! Thanks for your answer! I actually started the project by making a pureref! Here are some of my main references:

Rather sparse - doesn't give you much to choose from. It doesn't have to exact matches to the model. For worn paint on metal you can search and use anything made of both materials - with different levels of wear. For example you might find some nice images searching through abandoned vehicles, or well used tools.  The same goes for tires, rubber, etc. First define your model's environment.
    And agreed that higher resolution images are best - by looking at your examples above I really can't see the surface details - it those details that will make your model stand out. :)

• terpsichore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the answers everyone! I'll look for more references and I'll post an update with high res screenshots when I'm done!