Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tech Athena - feedback welcome at all stages

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AirmanEpic polycounter lvl 6

I found this cool concept by dylancl and decided I would like to try out my armor modelling skills. 

I've been playing a lot of Hades and I'm enjoying the afro-coded athena. There are a few other features I want to incorporate, we'll be playing around with a new spear and a real helmet, no idea if that'll play out or if I should just stick with the helmetless version. 

more concept art coming

Replies

• AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my mood board: 

You can see some my my helmet concepts on the right, and the hair/body will resemble the lady on the left who is instagrammer Natt Nyah. Armor and fabric will resemble the original concept piece with the exception of the wrists, which will resemble the Hades art. The style will be handpainted.

I stress that feedback is welcome as I'm still very new at 3D art.
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

getting started with a basemesh made in makehuman. right of the bat I can tell that I'm going to have to play with the forehead, hips, butt, and cheeks. I'll post here when that's done. 
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Fixed up the basemesh a bit. Will probably work a little bit more but no need to post here every 30 seconds. Still can't quite get the lips to look right.
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

here's the hair. I'm not sure I got the volumes right. See my example:

is there anything I can do to make this better?
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    atm, i haven't had time for a full review of all of this thread but for now what i saw quickly was her hair might clash with the "dark look" of the body suit.  Unless you dye it or something, that is all i got right now.  Not saying you have to but it might end up looking like you would have to change the entire "Color palette" for this one change.  Take this was the grainiest of salt and do as you wish, i am just attempting to tackle this as if i was to do it, i see color problems ahead (if i was doing this.)  
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads up. I might mess with that color anyway, I'm particularly attached to purple haha. I'll see what I can do. Feedback much appreciated.

Do you think the volumes of the hair look alright? I've messed with it a bit since last pic: 
    don't mind the armor, still blocking it in
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    If you have access to zBrush, or a program you can sculpt in like Blender I would use Daz as a reference while improving the figure's anatomy. Daz is free. The lips appear pursed and the mouth seems too high. The eyes seem too large, There appears to be no rib cage running around the side and back of the figure. The feet are not placed naturally at a rest position. Although that isn't really important it looks odd and its way easier to sculpt a figure when the default position looks good.

• AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have zbrush but I'm having trouble with the lips tbh. I noticed the pursed thing but I'm having trouble sculpting them correctly. I decided it wasn't worth messing with the ribs more than they are because it's just the base to put the armor over.

Here's a zoomed in look at the  lips. If you could redline or be very specific about what I should do it would be much appreciated.

Eye size is intended. Not sure what to do about the legs but I'll fix that when it comes to posing. 

Here's an update on the current art (it's just flat colors to help my brain think about how it'll look when textured)

• Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    First of all! great concept you got there! looks really cool!
    best help i can give you is to tell you, try to stick to maya/max/blender whatever modeling program you are using, and block out the WHOLE model there till you nail everything perfectly like in the concept. than go to zbrush and define it. because changing silhouettes & shapes etc. if your model has millions of polys already is very hard and takes forever!
    as an example, here is my entry for the last artstation challenge, last year. if you scroll all the way down you can see how long i stayed in the blockout stage until i figured everything out: https://www.artstation.com/contests/grand-space-opera-light-age/challenges/96/submissions/59766

i hope this helps :)
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice!
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

building out the silhouette. As you can see the edges of the fabric don't exactly match the concept, but this is alright - I made sure to add extra volume which I will remove using alpha. 
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Do you think the volumes of the hair look alright?
    I think you can leave it for very last, looks alright though will need work and how you detail it all would matter, maybe a multi-brush (imm brush) might be helpful here.(as a thought)
    Also i block a lot and can't see (or becomes a big headache to do the work around to see images hosted elsewhere.) IF you could use the polycount image hoster instead you might get more c&c, especially if others are in the same boat..
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry! I'll post a current closeup of the hair. 

don't mind the eyes and face, that'll get fixed up soon with textures.

Also, I am using an IMM curve brush, one of my own devising, it's basically a tube with a tapering end and an interesting root.
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

been working on the textures a fair bit. Still going to need to do a lot of work obviously, but I'll get there. This is all handpainted with baked lighting, there's no pbr reflections or anything
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

closeup of her face after I added the dodge and blush layers
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Progress at the end of the day. Note the panel lines in the skintight clothes. I'll be working on the hair next.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Okay now i get what's going on, so what guides teachers, authors videos or tutorials are you following for all the hand painted stuff?
    A good search on artstation / pinterest might show some promising guides and or tutorials that will help if the wiki doesn't already have the "most useful ones", linked up for easy access already.  Cool stuff, good to see some more hand painted stuff, hope it turns out well.
    Here is one guide that i saw recently trying to sort out the pc/desktop/folder mess:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/AmvJm LAST IMAGE as a general idea.
    There maybe more useful stuff in the polycount wiki, i can't see it so idk.

Good luck will be looking at this from time to time, don't know if i'll contribute more though.  Just take your time and make sure its the best you can do.
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! I unfortunately I don't really have much tutorials anymore. I used to follow stuff obsessively but the free stuff for this topic (I'm a hobbyist) isn't really good quality. I am following the amazing 80 lvl advice/guide here though: https://stylized3d.80.lv

I'll look at these, thanks!
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Where we stand right now - I think the next steps are to fix up the back and to add panel lines for the leg armor. 
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Back is just about done! I'm going to start working on rigging now. Once it's rigged it'll get the shield, spear, and boots.
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well, boys, this is likely the final version of this character! Hope y'all enjoyed my character creation journey here! Hopefully I'll be making a new one soon so enjoy! Last chance for any feedback before I upload to sketchfab!
  • Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    I like it so far!
    there are a couple of things that i would change, if you still wanna work on it.
    first of all i would give her shoes, or if not, flatten her feet so she does not just stand on her toes.
    2nd i would try to nail the pose of the concept, that one looks bad ass, but if you wanna keep this rather cute pose, i would just reposition her feet a bit because it looks like she is about to fall over the way she stands now.
    texture wise i would say the cloth and the metal do not fit with the style they are done int... the cloth is super flat but the the metal has shading, i would make the cloth the way you made the metal.
    also the hair just bleed together into one black spot, if you have the time and motivation i would still spend some hours on that as well.

thats my 5 cent^^
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I might do something about the fabric, but it probably won't be as good as the metal. I'm really debating doing shoes.  I'm running out of motivation lol. The hair looks good if you zoom in lol, I *really* don't want to revisit that lol. I think I'll do 2 poses, the badass one from the concept and the cutesy one I'm making here, thank you, I appreciate that! 

And thanks for the feedback! 
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

As promised, here's the pose more resembling the concept. I think I'm going to make a sketchfab version and call it here.
  • AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    model
    as promised, here's the sketchfab. Do you guys like the shiny metal more? If not, no big deal, I'll just hold off of it in the future lol
  • miss_golden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miss_golden polycounter lvl 3
    I really like how it turned out!
    My only suggestion for future projects is to gather some inspirations also for materials - it will save a lot of trouble when it comes to selecting texture style and the end result will be more consistent  :)