Home Technical Talk

Foliage / plants Texure packs

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , is there a place where I can find a good texture pack to use to create textures for plants? like leaves trunks etc? in particular tropical ones, If I lived in the tropics I would just go out and take some pics but I don't ... Neither I want to spend too much time making Sculpted versions of those and some speedtree stuff I don't like as base ... so  I am having a hard time finding any decent image of tropical foliage, most of time I just get generic classifications like "Tropical Plant" or "Jungle Tree" ... but not others and also most of textures seem off...

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    max tree, megascans, can find a few scanned packages on unity/unreal asset stores
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Max tree ? Is a tool?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Maxtree – 3D Plant Models | CG Assets

Not a tool. Film quality mesh plants. Good for a number of uses.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok checked Maxtree and seems their licence doesn't allow to use their content as sources for making other derivate items butonly useable for render stuff id I understood it well ... any other sources ?
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Well, I think you're going to have a hard time finding something adequate, there just isn't a lot of stuff there that can be used as textures directly.

At least I've always had problems finding good source material too, e.g you want to mace a Licuala, you're searching for photos,
    most of them are taken at angle so you can't just extract the leaft, or they have some weird shadows/translucency showing or they're low res or the license isn't right etc.
  • Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Megascans has a  big library of foliage. It has gaps, but you can fill them with a bit of creativity (ie: use textures that look close enough that only a botanist will know the difference). 
    Also, when image searching for plants, using their scientific names tends to give better results.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Benjammin said:
    Megascans has a  big library of foliage. It has gaps, but you can fill them with a bit of creativity (ie: use textures that look close enough that only a botanist will know the difference). 
    Also, when image searching for plants, using their scientific names tends to give better results.
    Doesnt megascans allow its use only for Unreal engibe and forbids derivative work for Comnercial uses?
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    NAIMA said:
    Doesnt megascans allow its use only for Unreal engibe and forbids derivative work for Comnercial uses?
    I'd like to learn it too . They offer a cheap indie  license  but  does it cover  independent contractors who work for  a big company?   I asked couple years ago and have not got any definitive and simple answer.        So is anybody  doing it?   

A company license  have been comparable with a cost of another contractor  artist from 3d world country   as I recall  which could do precisely what you need and licensing issues free .

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    NAIMA said:
    Benjammin said:
    You might be right. I've never had to think about it because I'm working on an unreal project :D  
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Textures.com has a great library of stuff. For example:
    https://textures.com/browse/3d-scans-atlas/114563

The license basically says "don't resell as source content" but allows for derivatives.