Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Please I need pro feedback

I've been getting very little feedback, people who don't know about 3d just love it but can't notice the small details or the obvious flaws which a 3D artist would immediately notice.
I would like to kindly ask you to destroy my portfolio and roast every single wrong poly or pixel you see.
I'll be very grateful
artstation: https://www.artstation.com/isak_art
ig: @isaaccamps_3d (I've got some extra projects just here)

Replies

• Isak_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • hwaminjung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hwaminjung polycounter lvl 2
    I would probably get rid of your character art from your portfolio, they are by far your weakest pieces and you have improved more since then.
    I think the main issues I see is the texturing. I am looking at your Wheatley model and I have a feeling you are not baking correctly? If you didn't have a highpoly version of the model, you can bake it to the lowpoly to get the information you need. The wear and tear doesn't appear to look natural (going around corners), and there is very little color variation.
    I think the portable generator is more of an improvement, but it feels kind of like its from an old game. Again I feel like the wear and tear is a bit too even everywhere.
    The unreal environment looks good, but those are not your assets, or are your focus as a prop designer, so it might be good to remove that or reorder your portfolio and bring that to the end.
  • Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    Less is more and you need to focus on one part that you wanna get a job in. 
    Lets say you wanna start working as an modeler, create more models try to really really do your best on small things. dont do characters or large assets. create a small pistol or something rather easy like that, and really nail it.
    The things you have on your artstation are fine and you can see the improvement on them. but like @hwaminjung said, texturing is your weakpoint, even on the generator, it looks like you just slapped generic things on there. if you do textures open a ref model and just add dirt where you can see dirt in the reference. stuff like that you have to keep an eye out for. dont just add weathering everywhere.

like a weapon like this, not suuuper difficult, but you can full mental on it and make it perfect in modeling, texturing and most importantly! rendering!!! because thats the only thing people will see of your work! renders!
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oAaw3L

keep pushing! improvment is 100% there!
  • Isak_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would probably get rid of your character art from your portfolio, they are by far your weakest pieces and you have improved more since then.
    I think the main issues I see is the texturing. I am looking at your Wheatley model and I have a feeling you are not baking correctly? If you didn't have a highpoly version of the model, you can bake it to the lowpoly to get the information you need. The wear and tear doesn't appear to look natural (going around corners), and there is very little color variation.
    I think the portable generator is more of an improvement, but it feels kind of like its from an old game. Again I feel like the wear and tear is a bit too even everywhere.
    The unreal environment looks good, but those are not your assets, or are your focus as a prop designer, so it might be good to remove that or reorder your portfolio and bring that to the end.
    I started using bake from the portable generator, you're right with my weakest point. I used to think it was better to leave all my posts to show my improvements and basic knowledge in other areas, but It hasn't work to find an internship.
    Thank you so much for the advice!

• Isak_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Less is more and you need to focus on one part that you wanna get a job in. 
    Lets say you wanna start working as an modeler, create more models try to really really do your best on small things. dont do characters or large assets. create a small pistol or something rather easy like that, and really nail it.
    The things you have on your artstation are fine and you can see the improvement on them. but like @hwaminjung said, texturing is your weakpoint, even on the generator, it looks like you just slapped generic things on there. if you do textures open a ref model and just add dirt where you can see dirt in the reference. stuff like that you have to keep an eye out for. dont just add weathering everywhere.

like a weapon like this, not suuuper difficult, but you can full mental on it and make it perfect in modeling, texturing and most importantly! rendering!!! because thats the only thing people will see of your work! renders!
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oAaw3L

keep pushing! improvment is 100% there!
    You absolutely mad man! Thanks for the awesome feedback, I've been struggling to continue my learning progress and get out of this stuck phase. At that moment the generator was a bit overwhelming with that many different pieces, different materials, using bake for the first time... 
    For the next asset, I'll follow your advice and make something simpler with a special focus on texturing.
    Atm, I'm slowly trying to switch to blender but still struggling to do basic stuff in which Maya felt so natural.
    Thx man! Helps a lot!
  • KrashDer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrashDer polycounter lvl 3
    yeah, and this

One thing I'll remove or improve is the Cyberpunk scene. I'm not sure of the lighting.