Home Adobe Substance

Substance Bitmap2Material 3 vs Substance 3D Sampler

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
whats the difference? I got the first because it has a single licence and not a subscription which I hate, but I see the product seems pretty old as was last updated seems on steam on 2014 and I can't find trace of it on adobe site ... but I found this other one Sampler, seems to be doing the same thing? Or it has anything different?

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    B2M is ancient and useless stuff.    Sampler uses  AI to fake depth   rather than just assuming darker pixels are deeper .  Unfortunately this AI is good  for limited number of things only .

Besides Sampler is a  kind of a version of  Quixel mixer .   Supposed to help you mix  materials easily  by  depth blending  and use ready made  atlas libraries to scatter small things. 

I personally find it a huge pain  in a...   and Substance Designer be  still more convenient and controllable  for those  things.      So  imo AI  is only reason to use it really.

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    why b2m useless ?

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Because  producing  height and normal maps from  photo  never works really  beyond a few very rare cases  where  darker pixels are always  deeper ones .       And you don;t need special soft for that.
  • Mink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    Image-to-depth programs are generally only good for quick and dirty materials, which have their place. Substance Sampler(Alchemist) is a cut above the rest, and can give you initial outputs that can be refined into something workable, but for a top tier texture scan you are gonna want to do a lot of work after the initial map generation to clean it up and make it tile in a way that does not look terrible. Another path is photogrammetry, but that also involves cleanup, an expensive camera, taking enough pictures so that the exact curvature of a surface can be determined, and a ton of compute power. There are hypothetical methods of using specialized equipment to measure depth, but a lot of those are also subject to "darker is not nessicarily farther" issues and are prohibitively expensive.