Starting up a new environment project after being quite busy aside from making art. I've set my own time restrictions and goals to try and push me to work on it whenever I can. The main idea is to make an optimized game-ready environment partly using the new nanite technology in UE5. I've been recently quite inspired to make a night lighting environment in a dark, fantasy setting and I managed to get a few references together to start off. Below is my main reference which I am basing my block out off.
The composition and moody colour scheme of this piece really stood out to me. I have received permission from the original artist to use this piece for a non-commercial portfolio project.
I started off by creating a few block out models to start blocking out the overall scene and getting the camera set up. At this point was mainly focusing on shape language-silhouette.
Made a quick base for the muddy path material too as its important for directing the eye in the concept.
This is where I am currently for block out. Aiming to put more time into the main focal point, perhaps making one more central building. Also going to look more into lighting and tweaking what I have at the moment before going into sorting out what assets I need.
Thanks for checking out my post! Feedback is very much appreciated
I'm struggling to get the mood of the original reference, but testing and pushing this as I go along. Gonna work more on the path and ground a little more next! Thanks for reading
Another quick update on this environment! Today I looked into changing the original spline mesh I had for the path to vertex painted puddles and getting the overall mood of the concept. I think it really makes a difference and is looking closer to the concept now! Still got to play around with the grass material, replace a few trees here and there and get some candles going. Also there is a slight slope giving a bit of a Dutch Angle to the scene in the original concept that I want to bring out in this too!
This is where I am at the moment! Thanks for reading my post
(Above) I wasn't happy with how flat the dirt path looked in my previous post, so I made a quick sculpt to drop into my current spline blueprint which I could use alongside the work I had already done on the path. I'm happier with how it turned out right now, but I will probably make a more detailed sculpt later.
I also changed the grass model to be a larger clump to make the grassy areas look more lush.
Thanks for reading!
(I restrained myself from putting time into the house model since none of the detail is seen in the final composition)
So that's where I am at the moment! Feedback is very appreciated!
My plan so far is to finish this scene within the next week or so, then make my own lighting and alter the concept with my personal touch
Managed to work more on this environment, so I'm just posting here to see if I can get any more feedback on the current state! I think, in terms of assets, I'm done. I just want to master the concept as much as possible at this stage before trying out different lighting setups and assets.
Since last post, I've changed the composition of the houses a little more, updated some of the trees and covered up the low res vertex painting on the muddy water
Thanks for reading!
What I think would improve the result:
Looking forward to see how it turns out
The people I've talked too already about this piece also mentioned the houses needing to capture the eye more. I've turned down the fog a bit and increased the intensity of the window lights as well as put more contrast between the bark in the fore and midground trees to guide the eye more.