Home Adobe Substance

how to edit a generated mask?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I am a noob still in Substance so forgive me if this is a trivial question but how do I edit a mask after I applied a generator and it clearly shows visible seams where uvmaps collide?

The mask when I select it seems to allow me to hae the paint curor but doesn't allow me to paint anything on it or edit it ... Is there something I am missing?

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Select mask stack of a layer and add paint  above the generator. i.e  put the cursor over that "dripping" something  from your screen, right click > add paint.

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    gnoop said:
    Select mask stack of a layer and add paint  above the generator. i.e  put the cursor over that "dripping" something  from your screen, right click > add paint.

Thankyou that is what I ended up doing playing with it a bit , but I thought there was a better way to do it ... good to know I did the right way .
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    You can also paint in the layer mask itself  and have your generator  as a part of  the mask stack with multiply blending mode for example.

You can also paint a mask on some layer in the very bottom of the stack  , set anchor there and then use  fill  in your target layer mask stack   with a link to that anchor.
    Sometimes it easier  that way to read  and edit your layer stacks  if you have same mask propagates through many different layers . 

I'd wish  they   would do just node based interface for masks,  a hybrid with  Substance Designer .        Still consider SPainter  inconvenient as hell on many levels  but  "convenient" is not what you typically expect  from modern art tools  anyway.