Home Marmoset

screen space reflections, SSAO and casting shadows from skylight

ElKaWeh
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ElKaWeh polycounter lvl 4

Hey

I'm pretty new to marmoset and I have a few noob questions. Recently I wanted to set up one of my assets to then export it as a .mview file.

There are three things that troubled me, maybe you can help me with that:

1. is it possible to generate screen space reflections? I have the asset positioned on a metallic ground plane but I receive no reflections at all. With raytracing enabled, of course, everything works, but since I want to export it as a .mview file later, I can't use that.

2. casting shadows from the skylight. I am lighting the scene with only an hdri right now, and I'm actually pleased with the look of it, but it doesn't cast any shadows (neither on a ground plane nor on a shadow catcher). Do I have to have additional lights in the scene to cast shadows?

3. Screen Space Ambient Occlusion. I don't really need it when I can set up the light and reflections properly, but is it possible in marmoset to generate SSAO?

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    1. You can get screenspace reflections within marmoset, but as far as I know, not within marmoset viewer. See the screenshot; you're looking for "Local Reflections". You'll have to make sure the viewport is set to a high-enough quality, or they may not show up.

2. You'll need to add a light! You can add a light by clicking somewhere on the HDR preview image in the sky object. It'll match the color and intensity of the pixel you click on, so it should match the lighting fairly well, out of the box.

3. See screenshot! You can get SSAO in marmoset. Just check on "Ambient Occlusion" and adjust the settings. Again, not positive whether it works in Marmoset viewer or not, but I think not.

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screen space reflections and AO are not possible in Viewer, but as Andrew mentions these can be set up in Toolbag 4's viewport. There's also a sort-of screen space GI technique called Local Diffuse.

Of course with ray tracing enabled, you get real GI, reflections, and shadowing from sky lighting.
  • ElKaWeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElKaWeh polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks a lot for the answers, both of you. This really helps a lot.