Home Technical Talk

Maya Arnold - SkyDome HDRI not lighting my scene the way it whould

node
Offline / Send Message
cmdrDsig node
Heyo !

I'm trying to recreate a photo I took recently in Arnold but I can't seem to figure out how to set it all up correctly. Here's what I'm aiming for :

And here's what I got : 

I'm pretty happy, I managed to get the reflections, camera position and settings to match (this is just a quick render without dof and low res). But as you can see, the lighting is all wrong. I'm using a custom made HDR image, but I can't figure out why the bottom/left side receives more light than the top/right.

Also, my textures are normally much more saturated and bright than this. Here's what the chair looks like in Substance Painter :

I tried to tweak the settings but I'm fairly new to arnorld so I don't really know what I'm looking for... Is it the camera ? Is it the skydome ?

I'd appreciate any help I can get :) Thanks 

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    it's because your custom  HDRI   doesn't  have  the sun of same absolute intensity and color temperature as a real one.     And even  if it has it would need extra sampling /resolution otherwise redundant.

A simple trick would be  just cut the sun off  your hdri and replace  it with  direct  light source.   Then find an intensity  balance  in between your hdri and direct light on your eye.      
  • cmdrDsig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmdrDsig node
    gnoop said:
    it's because your custom  HDRI   doesn't  have  the sun of same absolute intensity and color temperature as a real one.     And even  if it has it would need extra sampling /resolution otherwise redundant.

A simple trick would be  just cut the sun off  your hdri and replace  it with  direct  light source.   Then find an intensity  balance  in between your hdri and direct light on your eye.      
    Good idea, I tried it and it works nicely ! Still have a few things to adjust but this is definetly better ! Thank you !