Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Could use some critiques (WIP Medieval character)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Antheous_Krii polycounter lvl 2
It's my first time sculpting a face and I know It's far from done, but I could use some input on what I should improve and why, The rest of the character is also a WIP, so if you have anything to say about it, I'm all ears.
(Software: blender 2.93)

Replies

• BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    For the face, it'd be great if you could show a front / three quarter / side close up, like this (without the hair, ideally)
  • Antheous_Krii
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero said:
    For the face, it'd be great if you could show a front / three quarter / side close up, like this (without the hair, ideally)

Alright, got it updated with that new image!
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Use Asoro heads as a reference, i can already see that the distance between eyebrow, nose and chin are not "equal" distance. Take my stuff with a grain of salt, cause i am by no means a character artist. Look at Andrew Loomis sketches and asoro heads to figure out where your face planes are and work them out firstly in a very rough pass in Zbrush or blender. Afterwards, if you need more dense mesh, you could subdivide it to get more density to work with. Your sculpt also have some bumpiness around chin area and head because of this =). keep going! 
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    wirrexx said:
    Use Asoro heads as a reference, i can already see that the distance between eyebrow, nose and chin are not "equal" distance. Take my stuff with a grain of salt, cause i am by no means a character artist. Look at Andrew Loomis sketches and asoro heads to figure out where your face planes are and work them out firstly in a very rough pass in Zbrush or blender. Afterwards, if you need more dense mesh, you could subdivide it to get more density to work with. Your sculpt also have some bumpiness around chin area and head because of this =). keep going! 
    Sorry to correct like this but *asaro
    (This is my fave image collection of that head)

• Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    hey
    for the folds, did you already try the cloth simulation options you have in zbrush? might be a good try to get more realistic looking folds
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95MXwIp108k
  • Antheous_Krii
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx said:

I appreciate it! I'll see if I can workout some of the proportions.
  • Antheous_Krii
    Offline / Send Message
    hey
    for the folds, did you already try the cloth simulation options you have in zbrush? might be a good try to get more realistic looking folds

Ahhh, I guess I probably should've mentioned that I'm using Blender.
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    oh, even better, cloth sim is totaly i thing in blender :D might gives you a good result!
  • Antheous_Krii
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have to look into that, thanks.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Try this thing

• hwaminjung
    Offline / Send Message
    hwaminjung polycounter lvl 2
    Here's a little drawover I did for mainly the cloth. I think you can keep it simple, and try to focus on the big shapes of the wrinkles and folds. If you think about gravity, the wrinkles will probably come down from the shoulders, as thats where the cloth is resting when it is on your body. The best way though would be to look at reference, and study what is happening. Other minor changes I made on the drawover was the breasts; I felt like they could look more natural if they "sagged" more, and I tweaked the middle part of the corset to look more comfortable.
    For the face, it will definitely be tough doing it for the first time. I did a stylized character too fairly recently, and the problem I faced was getting a good balance of realism and following anatomy, but also pushing the stylization that I wanted. I think many of the points that were made already by the others are very good, and the only thing I would add is don't be too timid with the details. For example the eyes are very big, which is fine, but the eyelids are very thin in comparison, and the planes of the face surrounding the eyes are also kinda too smooth and not giving a good volumetric feel to the face.
    Hope that helps  :)

• Antheous_Krii
    Offline / Send Message
    Try this thing

Ahh, yeah that looks better. I'll have to mix these tips with hwaminjung's for the head/face. Thank you!

• Antheous_Krii
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a little drawover I did for mainly the cloth. I think you can keep it simple, and try to focus on the big shapes of the wrinkles and folds. If you think about gravity, the wrinkles will probably come down from the shoulders, as thats where the cloth is resting when it is on your body. The best way though would be to look at reference, and study what is happening. Other minor changes I made on the drawover was the breasts; I felt like they could look more natural if they "sagged" more, and I tweaked the middle part of the corset to look more comfortable.
    For the face, it will definitely be tough doing it for the first time. I did a stylized character too fairly recently, and the problem I faced was getting a good balance of realism and following anatomy, but also pushing the stylization that I wanted. I think many of the points that were made already by the others are very good, and the only thing I would add is don't be too timid with the details. For example the eyes are very big, which is fine, but the eyelids are very thin in comparison, and the planes of the face surrounding the eyes are also kinda too smooth and not giving a good volumetric feel to the face.
    Hope that helps  :)

Oh wow! That looks infinitely better. That's actually how I wanted to corset to be, but I built it around the body and forgot to look at more references lol
    I definitely see what you mean with the shirt as well, Now that I look at them side by side, mine definitely doesn't act like clothing. It'll probably take me some time to make these changes, especially the face, but it will be worth it for sure!
  • Antheous_Krii
    Offline / Send Message
    Making good progress, I'll probably still tweak some things around the body.
    I'm not happy with how the head turned out though, I think I may have gone too stylized for the body, It's too small and the neck looks too tall. I'm also having trouble getting the shapes to work how I want, so I'll probably take a month to practice sculpting heads and come back to this character when I have a better idea on what I'm doing.
  • Lether
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Hey good work !!! Yeah I feel the same as you. I think the neck is a little bit too small. If you want to break the stylized side of your face, it might be a good idea to use asaro's face and exagerate the edge (on cheek bone for example). It would be stylised at the end, but with an accent on the skull anatomy underneath the skin (hope you understand the idea :) )
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Need more reference on the folding and creases of the clothes. Maybe take those on yourself. wear baggy pants, tape around your knees and take pictures, see how the folds fall. 
  • Antheous_Krii
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx said:
    Need more reference on the folding and creases of the clothes. Maybe take those on yourself. wear baggy pants, tape around your knees and take pictures, see how the folds fall. 

Yeah, that's the main thing I'll be tweaking. I used a few references, but I just wanted to get the general idea first before I worked it out completely.
  • Antheous_Krii
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, back again with another update. Thanks to all the feedback here and elsewhere and watching a bunch of sculpting vids, it actually looks more like a human now. It's still not done yet, but It's much closer.

• Antheous_Krii
  • Antheous_Krii
    Offline / Send Message

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone here for providing me with god-tier feedback. I still don't consider this character done and I plan on remaking it anyways, since I didn't originally create it with animation in mind.

So once I go through some courses and create a few more characters I'll most likely recreate this one and do it right from the start.

Again, I sincerely appreciate the feedback from you guys. It means the world to me. I only hope that one day I can help others in the same way.