Home Career & Education

Learn 3ds Max coming from Blender/Maya?

lluc21
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
So I've been recently hired by a 3dsmax only studio, but I've only used Blender and Maya before. I'm trying to get up to speed in the following weeks before starting on october and I was wondering if there is any well known guide online that teaches the way 3ds max works for experienced artists, instead of the typical beginner tutorial that explains what a vertex is and whatnot. I was thinking of something like this but for 3ds max: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aAg6X0bDd0

From people that use both softwares, would you recommend changing the interaction mode to Maya or keep it default? I think it might be counterproductive as it changes many shortcuts and that could make things harder afterwards...

Replies

• hanabirano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hanabirano polycounter lvl 5
  • lluc21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESkQ9e1-lI4&list=PLxt9ZAGPLIpeB8TcHrpzxvEI4Ve3SfZBC

I learned how to use 3dsmax mostly from watching this playlist.
    Thanks, but I'm not sure if this is what I'm going after. Just scrolled through it so far so I'm not sure of the contents, but it seems to be a beginner tutorial?
    Basically what I'm looking for is a tools/workflow tutorial where it explains the main tools and shortcuts compared to other softwares, but doesn't really go very in depth on every tool if that makes sense
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The documentation is pretty good -  it's basically magic compared to Maya. 

Shortcuts are context sensitive (or can be). They're all listed in the hotkey editor 

Apart from that - pretty much everything has a sensible name and once you're used to the everything being in modifiers  and there being context sensitive menus it should slot into place quite nicely.
    Big differences include not having to worry about bullshit like broken history, hidden xforms or weirdly broken meshes. Oh, and it has an effective toolset out of the box

Don't switch to Maya style navigation, it will cripple you.  You get used to it fast, I had both open at the same time for years and rarely confused myself .

Look into the spline/surface based modelling tools, those are very, very powerful

• lluc21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    poopipe said:
    The documentation is pretty good -  it's basically magic compared to Maya. 

Shortcuts are context sensitive (or can be). They're all listed in the hotkey editor 

Apart from that - pretty much everything has a sensible name and once you're used to the everything being in modifiers  and there being context sensitive menus it should slot into place quite nicely.
    Big differences include not having to worry about bullshit like broken history, hidden xforms or weirdly broken meshes. Oh, and it has an effective toolset out of the box

Don't switch to Maya style navigation, it will cripple you.  You get used to it fast, I had both open at the same time for years and rarely confused myself .

Look into the spline/surface based modelling tools, those are very, very powerful

Thank you, I never actually thought about looking up the documentation. I'll put up a few more hours on my own and see if I can pick up the modifier list thing. I've read that it's similar to Blender modifiers but so far I'm finding it a bit cumbersome to deal with... Too many clicks involved in general. I guess it's a matter of using it for a bit and setting up shortcuts for the things I use the most.
    poopipe said:
    not having to worry about bullshit like broken history, hidden xforms or weirdly broken meshes
    Already looking forward to that lol