Home Adobe Substance

Texture compositing / mixing materials, best practice?

gnoop
polycounter
Offline / Send Message
gnoop polycounter
I wonder what's the best solution currently?   I mean something like this:
 Form what I see in this video it's a perfect workflow.  But I'v never tried it in MAri myself.     Is there other  perfect solution?     Sadly I can't find any decent replacement with  Adobe or other tools.

I  use Substance Designer  and  it's such a tremendous pain in ass  to recreate something like this.    It's always a non stop  puzzle solving that draining your time .  Something is always missed .  Some macaroni connection is misplaced  or forgotten.   Some extra blur and size mismatch or other shit happens that takes ages to figure out .    Old material non working properly anymore.  etc.     If it's other person graph it's a total disaster.

I tried to keep only  texture height  buildup  in SD and move  the color gradients  and final objects/materials compositing into Photoshop .     It works sort of   + their recent   patter preview + exr-io  that allows to read cryptomatte masks from scattering  something in actual 3d renderer rather than use that horrible atlas scatter in Substance Designer.         Still Photoshop makes you obstacles everywhere with its layer structure  and  super slow work in 16 bit mode.

Tried Affinity Photo for same reason . it 's much more non-destructive  than Photoshop  with its layer "links" , erase blending mode,  non cloud asset library and ability to pack anything in RGBA channels automatically   and much speedier.      But lacks of tools,  broken displace live filter  aka direct warp in SD  and  general soft stability still makes it a pain.

Tried Substance  Painter as a kind of texture compositor  on a plane mesh.   Also works  but inconvenient as hell and also slow.

Tried quixel mixer  . Only square textures . A hell of a mess with blending things by depth . unIntuitive as hell  either. 

So what you do to quickly composite something  like  that road piece  from the video?  When you need to re-scale, adapt  details of clamped stripe shaped texture to a new   width, etc?       Any opinion please.