Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help! What can I do to get to a more professional level

Hi! Nice to meet you all. 
I'm Cristián Rivera. I'm a 3D artist from Chile and I don't feel very confident with my work yet.
I aspire to get into Environment art and here is a glimpse of my work
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OoKkzv
This first shot was used as concept art to make the rest of the base
I'd be very happy If some of you can check out my work and give me feedback for my future projects.
I'ts the first time I'm looking for a more professional advice in this forum but don't hold anything becaouse of that.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You made two threads. That's not professional! :)
  • Staienlus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:
    You made two threads. That's not professional! :)
    sorry that was a mistake and I don't know how to take the other down haha
    I0t my first time posting here and it was a little confusing  :#
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I looks like you have a good foundation - It's really about getting into the details. What you are making right now would make for good concepts or visual designs. But if you want to work in games, or on production assets, you need to build up more than just the minimum required to fill a single perspective shot.

Firstly - Do you want to work in games? Or film and TV? This is a realtime and games focused forum so I will assume you want to work in games. Before I get into some tips for the next project, let's just touch on how you can improve on your fundamentals.

• Modelling. Your environments are build up of very simple shapes, in a way that tells me you might not be using enough reference. For example the corridor scene is lacking in design and purpose behind these panels on the walls. The look like random squares because that's what was easy to extrude. You don't have to model complex forms for the sake of it - but try to use concepts and reference photos for grounded designs to fill in spaces like this. Beyond just design, your models are full of hard edges without bevels. 
    • Unwrapping. I don't think I need to get too deep into problems here as I can see you've made use of trim textures in your castle environment - but in both scenes I see edges of shapes where the texture just.. ends. No visible edge in the material. Or a base material applied uniformly across the entire surface. There's times you just have to not sweat such small details in production, but especially in portfolio pieces, you should work to avoid this. again - beveling hard edges and modelling in silhouettes will help here.
    • Texturing. Lots of objects have a uniform material applied across them. I notice the skull and bones look like they where cast out of a single jello mold of bone jello :P
      Try to pick out some props at least and work on them as unique assets. Fill dirt in cavities, add wear to exposed edges, keep it subtle and grounded. You could also stand to improve your material definition some. The surface of this Sci-fi wall is glossy.. but very mottled and rough. Why is that? What material is it? What's covering the material? I think you are working from the point of view of your final shot - but you now need to work to make the individual assets stand on their own.

I think as you continue to work and try new programs, you will naturally improve. I would recommend for your next scene, you try to build a kit of modular assets that can be put together to make and environment, and focus on making those modular blocks as grounded and polished as you can. Work also on a small assortment of props to decorate the scene, and try to spend time on making the props look great on their own.

Good luck!