Home Adobe Substance

Transmission and translucency

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Cirmius polycounter lvl 3
Hi!
I want to texture something with transmission or translucency in Substance Painter, but it seems like shaders with alpha-test/blending don't support them in contrast to Subsurface Scattering. Every video i've seen on youtube about translucenty/transmission consider SSS or opacity. Am I missing something?

Replies

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Translucency and SSS are two different effects inside an engine like Unreal. SSS is effectively fake translucency, because translucent shaders are expensive - you save true translucency for where its absolutely needed. 
    If you can explain what you're trying to make, someone might be able to help further. :)
  • Cirmius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cirmius polycounter lvl 3
    Ah that's interesting :) I thought it's totally opposite (that SSS is much more expensive). I finally made what I wanted with SSS mask, but still I want how to do it with translucency.

It's for the game trailer purposes, we want to make it look expensive ;) I had to put a SSS mask on glass bottles, some drapery. The mask goes through the sewing thing on the drapery and the neck of the bottles. The effect unfortunetly looks like a candle, but we want something more like the light going through the drapery in the sunlight, same for the glass.

The final product will be rendered on Blender or Unity.
  • Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    If its pre-rendered, then it doesn't matter how expensive it is :) Sounds like you might want to look into Blender's renderer - which I have no idea how to use!