Home Technical Talk

Need a 3D capable laptop

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, need some suggestions on replacing my current rig (big server case) with laptop (space saving move). My current config is: Intel© Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz × 4, 32GB Ram, GeForce GTX 1080 - running Linux Mint. I mainly use Blender, Substance Painter. I use an external storage system.  Dual monitor capable as well.
Any suggestions on a comparable laptop? Budget is a bit of an issue. No more than $2k would I say.

Thanks!
Daf

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    2k is ambitious for a workstation. Mine was closer to 4k and doesn't come close to my desktop that was 1k less (10900k Vs 5950x) 

At that price I would probably aim for something gamey with a 3070.
    CPU is not so important and personally I'd skimp on the display /speakers etc .  As you'll be plugging it into proper kit when you actually work
    A mobile 3070 should almost  keep up with a desktop 3060  so will be usable and won't be a downgrade from the 1080  (not sure it's a big upgrade though tbh)

Outside the box suggestion

If you want to save space rather than take it places why not build a proper computer in a small case?  Use an itx motherboard etc. 
    You'll get a far better machine for the same money and it'll probably take up less shelf/desk space than a laptop ( believe me, I've tried to mount a laptop vertically to things and it's a fools errand)
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    4K - wow! Too much. Good suggestion about small case -  I thought about using same bits in a smaller case. Maybe that's the way to go.  Thanks!
  • janoshx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janoshx polycounter lvl 6
    We have been using these for vr demos a lot https://bestware.com/de/schenker-dtr-17.html
    a bit loud on high load but these have been serving us well...
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, those look fine for my purposes. I'd have to find them stateside (USA) to be feasible. Thanks for the suggestion! :)
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    That's not dissimilar to what I'm running - mines got a very fancy display and some other expensive crap I never use to make up the rest of the cost

- a few manufacturers make similar specs in similar chassis  origin might have one 
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah - the Origin laptops are nice. Might be an option. Thanks!