Home Technical Talk

UE4 material colors based on factions ?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi guys

I want to know how games deal(efficiently) with materials that are completely the same except their color.
Think of an RTS like AOE : definitive edition or AC Odyssey(image below). 
So I was wondering, what's the best way for us to replicate these results for our RTS/Faction based games ?.

Looking at the AC example
The moss pattern and the grunge + textures are identical except for the little bit of patterns that might have been 2d images used in their main material.
Would love to know this is achieved exactly and also , what's the most efficient way for us to achieve this ?
Especially if all we want is a change in albedo(same as AOE).

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Z55kQ8 (Lou Dumont)

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    there's plenty of ways. 

if you only need something very simple you could set up a material instance per faction and assign it based on faction at construction time. 
    for something that supports lots of factions or multiple material changes you probably want to build a datatable/dataAsset off a faction:material struct and assign out of that 

either way you probably want to assign a material instance rather than directly manipulate color values 
  • ZapyRay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perfect.

I was looking into masking "faction based" color areas and do a hue shift based on the mask.
    Good to know that I don't need to mess with the material editor a lot.

Thanx a lot !!