Home Technical Talk

Screen Tablet Oppinions and Experiences

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
garciiia polycounter lvl 3
Working with Blender - Animation, Modelling: Wacom Intuos Pro L vs. XP-Pen Innovator 16

I had the chance to get my hands on an old Cintiq (Not Pro and not the current version - The stand was like a bear-trap) for the first time and was a bit confused about the experience. I know that the non-Pro Tablets from Wacom aren't nearly as great as the Pro-Versions but I thought the experience on a display-tablet would have a bit more wow-factor.
I am used to draw with an Intuos M and Intuos Pro L. I sold the first one a couple of years ago and I am currently thinking about getting an Intuos Pro L myself.

But I used them for drawing at TVPaint only and wanted to get my hands on modelling and animating at Blender. I know that a lot of people say that any tablet is a hundred times better than a mouse, but the difference between a tablet with a screen and one without isn't so big.
What are your experiences?
I don't have the opportunity to try any tablet where i live - only the old Cintiq and that one was horribly big/heavy and the screen felt like sandpaper.

Maybe someone here had the chance to compare an Intuos Pro L with a XP-Pen Innovator 16 (Any display tablet bigger than that would be too much for my desk).
I doubt that the Innovator 16, with a price lower than the Intuos Pro L, could deliver an experience close to the Intuos + the display.. but who knows.

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    I haven't used either of these tablets so I can't say which you should buy but I wanted to say this:

For what it's worth, loads of people say to buy a Wacom because of the support and the drivers, but having owned a few Wacom tablets over the years I've never experienced worse drivers in my life, though but they're much better these days. Currently I've got a cheap XP-PEN Deco 3 because I really don't need much, and the software has never given me any issues. I just wanted to say this before lots of people chime in and tell you that you shouldn't get an XP-PEN because the Wacom drivers are better (because they read a forum post that said so).
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Wacom drivers can be awkward but they are always there - that's a big deal for hardware you want to last 10 years +

I've got a Chinese knockoff cintiq and used a proper one for years at work. 

The wacom is better. Drivers have far more features, the hardware is significantly more robust and you can be confident in driver/application support for many years (definitely not the case for the knockoffs)

However.  

You're paying a fraction of the price for the Chinese knockoff and they can work perfectly fine. 

I'd get a wacom if I used it daily but I don't
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    I  prefer screenless tablets .  it takes minutes to accustom yourself to draw looking at much better pc monitor staying  at right angle and showing you right calibrated colors.   In no time after the real canvas/easel    you start to appreciate  a new look at your work unobstructed by your own hands, better overall perception  of what you are doing .     And all screen tablets I ever tried always felt weird . Always  inconvenient and awkward somehow due to size , angle  ,etc resulting in neck pain or something.  

I use wacomM  but if I ever have to buy another one it will be small cheap Wacom tablet.   I had Bamboo few years ago before I killed it by splash of coffee accidentally . It felt the best.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    If we're going to think about it like that
    I find screen based tablets are excellent when need a real tactility to your work eg. When sketching, loosely painting/texturing  or blocking out sculpts but for precision work I've always found they can be a bit of a hindrance. 
    (Weirdly pleasant for laying out  UVs in Maya though) 
    I much prefer portable devices for sketching/blocking out etc. Cos I can sit on on the sofa or go outside 

However the op wanted to know whether a cintiq was worth the extra money or not. 
    As said, if you're going to use it every day and are willing to invest for 5-10 years then they're probably worth it. Even if not, they don't lose much value when sold used