Home Technical Talk

[3dsMax] Smoothing Groups to IDs

GhosTDoG
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
GhosTDoG polycounter lvl 6
Hi,

I'm looking for a way or a script, that "converts" Smoothing Groups to (Material) IDs.

Thx

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    A script would be handy and easy to develop -- but if there isn't one you can grab, a manual way would to be just to select by SG number and assign an ID to it, those two windows are right next to each other too, shouldn't be too cumbersome or time consuming to manually do.
  • GhosTDoG
    Offline / Send Message

Thx. However, in my case I need a batch process, but I didn't find any scripts so far.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    It's easy enough to write a script that converts a smoothing group to the same number material, but how do you want to deal with faces that have multiple smoothing groups (since a face can only have one material ID)? I ask because I already wrote a script for this but it just takes the first smoothing group (in numerical order) applied to a face and uses that as the number for the material ID.
  • GhosTDoG
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    It's easy enough to write a script that converts a smoothing group to the same number material, but how do you want to deal with faces that have multiple smoothing groups (since a face can only have one material ID)? I ask because I already wrote a script for this but it just takes the first smoothing group (in numerical order) applied to a face and uses that as the number for the material ID.
    I don't need to have the same number, like "SG 1 = ID1".  "SG X = random ID" would be enough.
    Or maybe an angle based poly selection to IDs?

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Since no one else has responded with something better, I'll just post this here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2h0bykcupaj407f/sgToMatID.ms

Notes:
    1. Script does a direct ID conversion from SG to MatID (so SG 5 becomes MatID 5)
    2. If a face has more then one SG only the first in numerical order is used.
    3. Only works on Editable Poly objects.