Home Technical Talk

Making a character open his mouth and keeping a good topology [Zbrush]

I have finished a character in Zbrush but now I want to sculpt it with his mouth open with 3D layer, the problem is when I open the mouth with the move brush, the polygon are stretch. How can I have my character open his mouth without having this problem and without losing any details from the head ?

Thanks for the answer

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    There is no satisfying solution in zbrush. I do all the blenshape work in maya. 

You could use polygroups for faster masking but its still to fiddly. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Its a good idea to post a picture of the state of the mesh with the opened mouth edit because I cant tell if you have any geometry for a cavity. If you don't, then following the text below model in a mouth cavity on the duplicate duplicate after remeshing it by using the zmodeller brush before subdivision. If you don't like zb's modelling tools Goz the mesh to a 3d app and model a cavity there.

Make a duplicate of your mesh as a backup. Open the mouth as far as you need to on the duplicate and duplicate the duplicate. Run zremesher on the duplicate duplicate. You can run a couple of remeshing modes by pressing a hotkey. Its been a while so you'll have to look that up. Choose the best topology and  poly group the geometry you are going to work with. Hide the new inside mouth mesh if there is nothing on the reference mesh. Project the end mesh onto the first duplicate with the stretching. On the end mesh simply repair the projection of the stretched polys (or sculp the new inside mouth cavity) through all your subdivisions.