Home Technical Talk

A question for hard surface artists, especially gun modeling

Hello guys! Well, I consider myself a damn perfectionist. Whenever I start looking for my gun references, I end up running into a problem that doesn't let me go on. This problem is always related to lack of information about that weapon. My PureRef file is usually very big, but I still lack something :s

The first thing is: Depending on the weapon, there are parts that the photos / videos on the internet do not show clearly, in this case, do you consider modeling something close to that, ignoring the fact that that part is not identical? Or even something that doesn't exist? 

Another question: Do you think it's valid to use CAD (Fusion 360 / MoI) to model an entire weapon? If so, do you chamfer High-Poly there or do you prefer to do it in Zbrush?

Thanks!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    you need to clearly define your goal before starting work. if you aren't making a gun for 3d printing, probably millimeter level accuracy and internal parts don't contribute to accomplishing the goal. 

anything that doesn't directly contribute to accomplishing the goal - don't do it.

if you are only doing practice/portfolio work, just stick to stuff where you can get the info you need and get work done without big problems.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    "Do you think it's valid to use CAD (Fusion 360 / MoI) to model an entire weapon? If so, do you chamfer High-Poly there or do you prefer to do it in Zbrush?"

Yes absolutely and personally I usually prefer native DCC tools in order too streamline pipeline modeling tasks:

Also a recent related discussion that might interest you which positively realigned an outlook upon utilizing CAD data to output realtime hard surface shapes / objects.

• sandrokaza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J disse: você precisa definir claramente seu objetivo antes de começar a trabalhar. se você não estiver fazendo uma arma para impressão 3D, provavelmente a precisão de nível milimétrico e as peças internas não contribuem para atingir o objetivo. 

qualquer coisa que não contribua diretamente para o cumprimento da meta - não faça isso.

se você está apenas fazendo trabalho prático / portfólio, apenas se concentre em coisas onde você possa obter as informações de que precisa e realizar o trabalho sem grandes problemas.

Thank you!
  • sandrokaza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    "Do you think it's valid to use CAD (Fusion 360 / MoI) to model an entire weapon? If so, do you chamfer High-Poly there or do you prefer to do it in Zbrush?"

Yes absolutely and personally I usually prefer native DCC tools in order too streamline pipeline modeling tasks:

Also a recent related discussion that might interest you which positively realigned an outlook upon utilizing CAD data to output realtime hard surface shapes / objects.

Thank you! I'll check this link!
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    do you consider modeling something close to that, ignoring the fact that that part is not identical? Or even something that doesn't exist? 

I recall something like this in  games https://youtu.be/ouDqtmgK8_o?t=122 .   Kind of the whole rifle  is for left handed  or something   =)

Although it might be a licensing issue since using authentic weapon in a game would require an agreement from a company producing it.     Same as with cars models  ,  companies logos etc. 
    And good lack  they would be even answering your e-mails.