Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Clothes creation practice in Marvelous Designer

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
SpicyKaramel polycounter lvl 2
Greetings, strangers!

Recently I discovered Marvelous Designer for myself, and I absolutely fell in love with it. I want to have more practice in it, so I decided to take up on a new project which will be mainly focused on clothing creation in Marvelous; however I plan to possibly make small tweaks and adjustments in ZBrush if necessary and after that texture the clothes in Substance Painter for better presentation. 
I chose several heroines from the movies to use their outfits as references for this project. I don't want to spoil just yet what these heroines are; I feel like as I'll be posting their outfits it's gonna be pretty clear who these heroines are. 
I mainly want to use this thread as motivation to make regular progress and help myself to procrastinate less. I hope to post regular updates here, but for now here is a small sneak peek of the mannequin mesh I'll using for all the outfits!
(i know, i know. lots of bloom and lens flares, haha)

Cheers!

Replies

• SpicyKaramel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE No_01

Finished the first dress in MD from the series! And also started working on 3 others already!
    I have looots of references of the outfits I want to recreate, so I decided to create the outfits in small batches of 3-4 outfits in MD at once before moving to Zbrush for clean-up and later texturing. This way I'll have a collection of several outfits that would make a nice assembled project for posting on ArtStation, because I feel like posting just one outfit at a time which is intended as just practice and most probably won't be game-ready not gonna make a good look on portfolio. 

1st finished dress! I'm gonna call the MD part for this outfit done for now, but I can always go back to it when I'll send it to Zbrush for cleaning up. Can you guess what character or what dress was an inspiration for it mmmmmh?
    It was relatively easy to make, I now learnt how to make the gloves patterns, so it will be very useful in the future! 

Dress 2 is when the real challenge began. I have so many issues with it already.
    It's not the most complicated nor detailed dress and the particle distance value on all elements is pretty big, but for some reason it takes ages to simulate, even on Fast simulation. Can it be because of the drapery? I honestly think that this drapery is not too bad in terms of the folds, and that skirt's pattern is genuinely not that big, so I am a little bit confused on this one. Is there any other reason why it takes so much time to simulate even simple drapery even on big particle distance values? Maybe it can be something about the software settings themselves? I have no clue, so any suggestions on what might cause it and how I can improve it are very welcome! Granted, my laptop is pretty outdated, but I didn't have any issues with the making of the first outfit, so I am very confused about it.

Next, idk, maybe it's because of high particle distance, but I put the distance on 7mm and there is still this fighting during the simulation. No idea how to fix it and even if it's possible to fix it without going any lower on particle distance, because on 5mm for that the software crashes...

Another pretty major issue is the distance between the layers of clothing. I was trying to make a belt with a bow on the back for this dress, but both belt itself and the parts of the bow float on a significant distance from each other. I tried changing skin offset, additional thickness, but it doesn't seem to work. I want the belt to be tight on waist (like on the refence pic a bit down below) and also affect the folds. But for now I really don't know how to fix this issue. Pls send hjelp

I also really want to make the drapery on the bust really refined and with little folds like on this pic. My attempts werent successful so far, because during the simulation the folds become very puffy and I want them to be very close to the body and each other, I am not sure how else to describe it other than just showing this pic haha. Any ideas on how to achieve this within MD will be greatly appreciated!

That's all updates for now! 
    The other two outfits require a lil more work, so I'll share the progress on them later when there will be more stuff to show. :)

Laters!

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Hi all i can try to provide here is some video tutorials on u.t. that i thought the presenter was very informative with her explanations and guidance. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1di8iIkDcE
    There maybe better people out about now, with "shorter things", but something is something.  I like the progress so far.  The answer to some of your issues might be within these series.
  • SpicyKaramel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz 

Thank you for linking this tutorial, i welcome any help, so i definitely will check it out!
    Sometimes it's pretty annoying to go through the tutorials on YT because they mostly cover the same simple stuff over and over again and it's hard to find ones that are actually informative.

Also, thanks a lot for liking the progress! I hope to post more updates soon 
    :) 
  • SpicyKaramel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE No_02

Very small quick update.
    I am still battling the belt for the second outfit. I really dont know what am I doing wrong, it does this weird thing.

Seam taping and Elastic on the edges dont help whatsoever. I tried Strengthen on the belt parts, it makes the belt keep its shape and stay in place, but I cant get the draping in this case where there should be a knot, so I need to figure out something else.

Also, *boink*

I dont understand why the small part goes through the belt. I was trying to do the same trick as Daniel does here (timestamped): https://youtu.be/B7d6BFv745E?t=12020
    I followed all the steps to a T but this still happens. I tried this method in both absolutely clean new project and my already exciting project, and it's the same result each time. Not gonna lie, I feel a little bit defeated about it. 
    Oh well, I'll try to power through this somehow.

Laters!
  • SpicyKaramel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE No_03

I am still battling some of the more complex outfits, but I managed to create these two quick outfits in the meantime! 

They are from a different batch (you can see that because they are from the Medieval time period, while the previous two outfits were from 19th/20th century), so I will fully finish them up a little bit later. I had few issues with the second dress here: whenever I was freezing something, it would clip through other layers way too much, and then unfreezing would mess up everything, etc.; in some places I couldn't really properly fit the elements; going lower in the particle distance and running the simulation also messes up the layers, so I just let it be as it is. That's why you can see some clipping on the back around the belt. I decided to adjust all the imperfection of the patterns in Zbrush later because I just don't want to waste too much time trying to make the patterns perfect when i can just easily fix that later in Zbrush.

I'll be honest, even though these dresses are relatively simple, I really enjoyed making those and I reaaally like the outcome! I am definitely very proud of these two!

Can you guess these characters mmmh?? 

That's it for now!
    Laters!