Home Technical Talk

Retaining Normal Information on FBX export from Maya?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
CraftMaster polycounter lvl 11
How do I export a mesh with normal information intact for FBX export from Maya. ATM it is giving the face normals an automatic smoothing. I just want the normals to be exported as is from maya. pls help, I've tried a bunch of export options but none seem to work.

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    These are the settings I tend to use. Just tested, and it works.
    What program is the FBX destined for? Could it be an import settings problem as well?

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Try locking the normals prior to export. Failing that, might try turning off Mayas whacky face weighting in the options, that can override any correct normals if they are unlocked with questionable face/area weighted normals. So depending on the ecosystem you work in, you may or may not want that following things around.

It could be an export option too. Just depends exporting to where and what else is in the file etc.
    Turn on/off convert to smoothing groups is usually the only one you might need that concersn normals. The only others that matter to normals is split vertex, and probably smoothing might have an effect on normals. Both of which I'd leave off unless you need them specifically.

• CraftMaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CraftMaster polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks guys, It turns out it was the problem was with the import of Unreal. I needed to select 'Import Normal' in the import options.