Home Adobe Substance

problem baking a simple bottle

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
hi I am baking a simple bottole in substance but I alwasy get those weird black and gray spots ... how can I resolve that?

Replies

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Any idea on what causes that issue?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here I am having the same issue I am not getting why!

Low poly
    High poly

The model is divided into 4 pieces, larger ring, smaller ring, the glass interior and the surrounding screws, all share the same material apart the glass in center, I have used those settings for baking ...

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    You probably aren't getting any response's because usually a lot of people use @ work machines which their I.T. blocks anything "malicious", granted your link may not be malicious themselves but as an example i block even facebook (rightfully so) but yea i'd just post up some images to the sites upload feature (which is why its there to prevent these issues of "blocked" image locations)
    Best of luck.  If someone doesn't mind helping them that can see the images, then.
  • Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Looks to me like your HP and LP aren't aligned, so check that first :) 
    Secondly, anytime you have baking issues in Substance, you want to bake maps one at a time to see where the issue is occuring - some issues will show up in AO, others in normal maps.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Both the bottle and  second thing doesn't need to be baked  from hi poly at all.    I see no extra  details in hi -poly  that needs to be baked or couldn't be painted in SPainter directly.  
    So just check in  use low poly mesh as hipoly.   Why wasting time.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok I understand but I am tryingto get an understanding why I ALWAYS get weird artefacts in my baking so I made a more complex object , I did what I think a good fitted low poly mesh and applied .... No matter what I tried , playingwith sliders and numbers I always get bad baking ...

SO To try to solve I have abandoned the single model for the bananas and I decided to go with a low poly version of each one of the bananas ...

I remade also the high poly , checked its correctly fitted aligned, I remade uvs and all ...

Yet I always get annoying baking issues ...

I can upload the file to someone if somene is kind enough to help me understand what is wrong in my bakes ....

I tried searching all over theinternet and I didn't find the kind of baking issues I am having .

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Check you geo  doesn't have double polygons   i.e. one triangle laying over another one on same vertexes,   unlikely in 3d max  but could happen in other packages.  Also make sure  you don't have randomly flipped normals .   Try to bake in other soft : Xnormal  or Blender for example.  If you have same issue  it would indicate you  have a geometry problem.   Try to make and use cage .  Try Marmoset  it bakes in real time  so you can see where the issue is coming from .    

But first of all try on a single banana , both low res and hi.  if it's ok  then your issue is ray distances.  
  • Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    When trying to solve baking issues, I bake only the normal map at first, with dilation set to zero - that way you can see immediately if you have ray distance issues.