Home Career & Education

Got opportunity as a 3d character artist and failed - what i've learned !!!

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4
Henlo,
i got the opportunity to work as a 3d character artist in the local studio but  i failed on the test.
They saw my portfolio and they didn't complain about my 3d modeling/sculpting/texturing/topology at all. 
I realised they're not that much interested in that since almost everybody can do it these days who is at least 5 years into this.
Also, they don't give a shit if You did something from sphere or u used a basemesh.  
The point was in blendshaping,facial rigging, which would lead to understanding rigging and animation systems = which means functionality.

So, even if i don't have skills as top row artist on zbrushcentral  i could get hired if i could do facial blendshape and rigg character in maya.
Nobody cares if You have nice good looking 3d character if it's not ready for animation. So it will lead more to understanding technical stuff even as a 3d artist.

5 years ago, i think i  think i was tricked by artstation and zbrushcentral looking all these cool 3d characters, focusing on 3d modeling ,sculpting ,painting but ignoring technical side ,rigg and animation even i cared about topology tho.

3d scans,photogrammetry, basemeshes, all widely used and welcomed if it could finish a job faster and sell it. The industry doesn't give a f***.

Now, i want to start learning rigging and animation aspect of 3d characters. Not to be rigger or animator but to be able to deliver functional character.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Yes.  

One of the most important aspects of the job is supplying something usable to the next person in the chain

99% of internet education skips that part, which is why 99%of internet education is worthless
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok but not all tutorials are bad, you can definitely learn something by watching.
    I want to say  the industry is changing, people say you need to make character from sphere, nobody gives a shit if u use basemesh or scans  if you can make  functional and sell it.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    ok but not all tutorials are bad, you can definitely learn something by watching.
    I want to say  the industry is changing, people say you need to make character from sphere, nobody gives a shit if u use basemesh or scans  if you can make  functional and sell it.
    I'm reasonably certain no one is saying you need to, or should, sculpt from a sphere in production. It is, however, a valuable learning excercise.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Or the Studio wasnt willing to invest time to teach you how to create a "working" char. The most valuable skill is to listen and learn fast.

You dont have to learn rigging and animation. You just need to know what the rigger and animators need. 

Its pritty standard that you get a reference character to meet the tech specs and quality beside a pipeline documentation. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Meloncov said:
    I'm reasonably certain no one is saying you need to, or should, sculpt from a sphere in production. It is, however, a valuable learning excercise.

it's a pretty vital skill if there's no basemesh to work from  - eg.  you're making a 7 legged snail monster or something. 

My point earlier is that the vast majority of tutorials teach you only to make the thing in the tutorial, in isolation and with no consideration for the next poor bugger down the production line. 

It's great that you're willing to learn some rigging - this will make riggers like you a lot more and also make you much more useful ion a production environment. 

• focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    Or the Studio wasnt willing to invest time to teach you how to create a "working" char. 

of course 
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Meloncov said:

it's a pretty vital skill if there's no basemesh to work from  - eg.  you're making a 7 legged snail monster or something. 

My point earlier is that the vast majority of tutorials teach you only to make the thing in the tutorial, in isolation and with no consideration for the next poor bugger down the production line. 

It's great that you're willing to learn some rigging - this will make riggers like you a lot more and also make you much more useful ion a production environment. 

poopipe said:
    Meloncov said:

monsters/creatures are the other thing.  You can do it from sphere or zsphere without basemesh and they are easier to sculpt and paint in comparison to realistic humans (at least to me).