Home Technical Talk

Best way to model this?

martynball
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
martynball polycounter lvl 10
Hey, I need to model this, however I have not touched 3D modelling for years now! I have got Maya back, but I also thought that SolidWorks would be ideal, however that will take me ages to learn!

Anyone got any advice? Should I just plane model it in Maya? I need to get it as accurate as possible, as it's a piece of fairing from a motorbike, i want to modify it and 3D Print it, so it needs to fit right! 

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    If it's being 3D printed then you're better off learning SolidWorks or Fusion360
  • martynball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 said:
    If it's being 3D printed then you're better off learning SolidWorks or Fusion360
    I thought that, but I know Maya, just need to jog my memory. Can't even get my head around where to start with SolidWorks, I have very limited time as work a lot too :( 

Was hoping to get the basic shape with 3d scanning software which takes loads of photos and generates a point cloud, however due to it being reflective it fails
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Honestly when you spend some time to learn either you'll probably have a much better time. If you're 3D printing, Maya won't have much in the way of measuring or tolerances for you, and you'll be focusing so much on the topology that you will take 3 times as long as if you'd learnt SolidWorks or Fusion 360 to do this job.

I've never used Fusion360, and the last time I used SolidWorks was in secondary school over 10 years ago so I'm not Mr. Current Affairs when it comes to CAD work but I hear Fusion360 is a seriously fun package to use that even lots of Maya/Max modellers like to play with.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    - Start by taking all the precise measurements you can possibly take (center of mouting holes, diameters, all dimensions you can identify really).

- draft/model a basic template based on these dimensions in a CAD software with dimension constraints (I assume that Solidworks and Fusion both do that), or in a more simple package that doesn't do constraints but still allows for precise measurements (that'd be MOI3D). Solidworks isn't cheap, Fusion is doing the usual free-but-not-really-free-and-it's-all-online-locked thing, so MOI seems like the logical choice imho. Or perhaps FreeCAD.

This template won't have all the curves and details, but you'll be able to print it out to check the fit of the part.

- Then convert this template to polygons and build the curved parts in a regular subdiv modeler like Blender/Maya. Of course CAD/Nurbs experts would be able to build these surfaces in CAD, but that's likely going to be a pain whereas doing them in subdivided polies will be super easy.

- In the meantime, do a cheap phone-based or DSLR-based pseudo 3d scan to use as a handy reference when modeling. I'd also suggest to create some good photo references by taking pictures of the part, aligned to your desired front/side/top views, with a telephoto lens from across the room to get as close to ortho as possible.
  • martynball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips guys. I might have a play around in Fusion360, I have got SolidWorks trial, but is Fusion360 is kinda free then will try that. Will make a basic template like you suggest @pior to ensure it fits right and then go from there with the rest of the shape. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For photogrammetry with something highly reflective, try coating it with a washable matte spray. Baby powder can work in a pinch too.