Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Japanese Straw Hats - Shokuho Mod

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Mr_Nova polycounter lvl 3
I've been working a lot on the Shokuho Mod for Mount & Blade: Bannerlord. This mod is a total conversion of the game into a feudal Japanese setting (and one I'm really passionate about as well.) I took on the task of making some straw hats for characters and NPC's in the game and it was quite the learning experience! I've never baked alphas before (similar to hair cards I suppose?) after a lot of trial and error and messing around with all sorts of methods I got something to work. I also learned applying opacity maps to my work and making it all function together in the game engine :) 

I was heavily inspired by Ghost of Tsushimas hats and the overall look, so I adapted some of those hats and even loosely made a hat based off Ryuzo's hat in Ghost of Tsushima. I had a great time making these and learned lot from this. I look forward to applying more of these skills in future works.

Modeled in Blender, Textured in Substance Painter, Rendered using Marmoset Toolbag 3.

Each 'Straw' Texture is hand painted to give a somewhat unique look to each, There was no texture I could find to resemble what I was aiming for so I decided to hand paint a majority of my models. Because of this I'm now fully convinced I want to take that approach MUCH more. Very good practice and the results are really surprising and fun.

Finally Texture Maps and UV's (Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to show everything. Worked too hard not to.) Tried to get my UV's tight and clean laid out evenly.

Lemme know what you think!