Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I feel like i'm at a dead end.

Hi all. 
Long time lurker here.

I have been doing 3D for probably 4 years now and I don't think I'm at the level I should be. I feel as though I'm not progressing for the past year.
Then when I try to practice and make a prop, I end up rushing it and want it done in a couple of hours and I end up just ditching it.

I'm self taught, but luckily I have a job making low poly props, mainly buildings.

How can I feel better about myself? Do I need to do a specific course? Do I need to take my time more when I practice?

Feel free to look at my artstation and roast me :)

https://callum112233.artstation.com/

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hey!
    You should participate in polycount challenges (or other challenges). Use this as an opportunity to try some new techniques and styles. Typically the concepts are also more complex than what you show on your artstation, so you can push your self.

Also: have fun and get away from computer sometimes :D
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    You might just not enjoy making props or maybe you get bored because it takes too long to do just one thing. I suggest you do practice "sketches" where you do only poly modeling or only texturing but try to find ways to make the process more enjoyable. That way when you do a full prop or env you have a certain workflow already set up.
    I see you have a lot of basic shapes in your portfolio, might want to do something more freeform (hard organic) like a car body. Again, this is just for practice so you become more fluent with shapes.
    The material work is kinda procedural and it needs to be more natural. For this you need to take a real object with lots of wear and "history" and reproduce its material as close as possible. Try to understand the different surfaces and how they age and deteriorate.
    Good luck
  • callum112233
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It’s not that I don’t enjoy making props. That’s the thing I want to do. My area of interest is environment art. I’ve never really had the urge to delve into characters. The polycount challenge sounds like an idea though.
  • JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    "Then when I try to practice and make a prop, I end up rushing it and want it done in a couple of hours and I end up just ditching it."
    This right here is probably why you´re not progressing. 3d takes time to do and I don´t know anybody who can make good stuff in two hours.
    My advice would be to pick a cool concept, something more complicated than what you have in your portfolio and spend as much time as you need to make it the best you can do. Remember to post wips, get feedback along the way.
    If you´re looking for tutorials, simon fuchs has great ones for props.
    Good luck!

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    One tip would maybe also to break the model down into multiple smaller models (e.g. instead of modelling a car from start to finish, try to model & texture a wheel, then the bumper etc.)
  • callum112233
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all. I just have to get in the habit of slowing down :)