Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sypha Belnades

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
SgtBabbit greentooth
OK SO! New project! I really want to practice some realism after a couple of finished stylised projects. I want to buff up on my marvellous designer knowledge, realistic skin rendering and hair card placement. I thought Sypha would be a great project since asides from the fact that she is absolutely a badass, she has a relatively simple, very drapey outfit, a short hairstyle to practice and not too much skin showing so i can focus on the face and hands

VERY EARLY WIP, i've only spent a few hours on this so far. Gathered a little reference, i'll be adding to the PureRef board as I go. 

Replies

• SgtBabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtBabbit greentooth
    More progress! The body and face i think will be a constant back and forth to get it right, but we're getting somewhere! I couldn't resist and dived into Marvelous Designer. Got the basic garments in, when i'm happy with them i'll go through and add hems and proper fabric weights and stuff. 
    Bit apprehensive about doing that wrapped sash around her waist, has anybody got a good trick for that in Marvelous? Seems like it'll be REALLY fiddly 

• SgtBabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtBabbit greentooth
    Some progress! I've draped most of the clothing in marvelous designer, added detail, thickness and refined in Zbrush. Made the shoes the same way! Next i'll be working more on the face and skin, give myself a break before the big poncho type piece 

• SgtBabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtBabbit greentooth
    I was unhappy with her blue tunic, mostly how the neckline draped. So I revisited that. Also started experimenting with whether or not to include her battle damage, and if to do them fresh or healed/scarred

• SgtBabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtBabbit greentooth
    I’ve started on to retop and bake. Trying to push the realism with the textures

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The figure in the reference shots looks to have a more fashion figure proportion. This figure here is more stocky. I don't know the character but I don't find it as appealing as the reference. Thanks for showing the naked sculpt. The right leg isn't correct, including the foot. Also the elbow doesn't look right. Nice job on the costume. It would probably be a good idea to practice your anatomy for a bit. You can also use Daz 3D to help as a reference.

• SgtBabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtBabbit greentooth
    @Kanga Thanks for the feedback! the purpose of this project is to practice my realistic anatomy, I'm always trying to improve! I agree with you about the elbows and feet, I have been spending some time working on them recently. Sypha has very typical anime proportions but I wanted to push her into a more realistic realm, and since she's an experienced fighter and traveller I wanted to give her a more muscular build. And honestly it's more of a personal choice in how I like to portray the women in my personal work.
  • SgtBabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtBabbit greentooth
    Starting on the hair cards!