Home Technical Talk

Need some technical advice regarding textures.

I have blocked out a cave for our "stylized" game - inspired by the legend of zelda - wind waker. But I still struggle with the "how" in "how to make this scene look beautiful and not blocky". 

It is indeed a low-poly game, but low poly can still look beautiful and that is what I want to prove with this. 

I have tried multiple things such as hand-drawn seamless textures - stretching uvs like they did in wind waker, watched tutorials online of how to use shaders, downloaded quixel mixer (which doesn't look right in low-poly style). 

HOW do I make it look great? I have no problem creating objects and assets - applying my hand-drawn textures to them. The work flow for bigger stuff like environments is just not there. Please help. And if you could advice me over a discord-call that would be even better.

I thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely
Fred

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    One word: Lighting

It focuses attention, it creates mood and atmosphere and it gives depth. Go to town on lighting and see what works for you!
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Making an environment like this is not much different than making a realistic environment. Make ground textures, architecture, and props and apply them the same way you would for a realistic environment. Just make them with a stylized shape language.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/TexturingTutorials#Painting_Stylistic_Textures

The biggest difference is that it's more about having good art fundamentals. If you're not good at creating color schemes, or organizing a harmonious composition, it will be much more obvious with stylized work than with realistic work. 
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    Axi5 said:

I am second to this advice.     Start just with  flat color fill .  Bake a proper static lighting with GI and  bounces (assuming it's not something for U5 and more like mobile game)    Ad  a few fx effects and it could look great even without actual textures  .   Once it look ok without textures   you can start to care about them .

• FritchoffArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    Axi5 said:

I am second to this advice.     Start just with  flat color fill .  Bake a proper static lighting with GI and  bounces (assuming it's not something for U5 and more like mobile game)    Ad  a few fx effects and it could look great even without actual textures  .   Once it look ok without textures   you can start to care about them .

Me and a co-developer are n the process of learning how to make a stylized 3D game close to the realms of remakes of Zelda wind waker and Spyro. Other art references comes from crash bandicoot and sky. I just don't know what the next step is from block-out level to actual design in terms of workflow. It has been bothering me for 2 weeks now, continously looking for videos to aid me - but there is no real answer out there. I am insecure about the polycount too and is why we went with low-poly game, as we have yet to learn limits and stuff.

Going back to the question at hand "how to make the environment look good", I would very much know how I would go about it? Does anyone of you have any videos to recommend that has worked past the blockout face? I would much appreciate anything as I am desperate to get to the next level of my journey and make this scene come really come to life.