Home Marmoset

How to bake wrapped object ?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
BrunoNM polycounter lvl 2
Hi everyone ! Hope you're enjoying your summer B) !?

I struggle with baking a tape object, I cannot understand how to bake properly this kind of object. Before this I never encounter this issue because my work was only about mecanical items. Here is more organic stuff, and I have no clues how to handle this.

I made the lowpoly in 3ds max, then import in Zbrush for adding alpha wrinkles. Finally bake it in Marmoset.

Hope somebody have an idea  =) ??!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the main problem here is that you've modeled the low poly like the tape would be in real life, ie: there are thin, overlapping planes of geometry. I would suggest modeling this as a flat without any overlaps, this will use less UV space and make baking much easier as you won't have the overlaps to contend with when ray casting for the bakes.

Another suggestion would be to omit the low poly tape mesh entirely and bake this directly onto the base object. Unless the tape needs to be removed or customized this would be more efficient (better UV usage, less overdraw) and easier to manage for baking.
  • BrunoNM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks EarthQuake ! Helps a lot !
    Sorry for my lack of english knowledge. But I'm not sure what you mean by ''omit the low poly tape mesh entirely and bake this directly onto the base object''.  Do you mean using only my highpoly, and bake it itself ? (I'm super confused ^^). :o

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrunoNM said:
    Many thanks EarthQuake ! Helps a lot !
    Sorry for my lack of english knowledge. But I'm not sure what you mean by ''omit the low poly tape mesh entirely and bake this directly onto the base object''.  Do you mean using only my highpoly, and bake it itself ? (I'm super confused ^^). :o

Sorry no, I assumed that there was another object that this tape is wrapped around and that you have a lowpoly model for that. So instead of having a dedicated lowpoly model for the tape, bake it directly onto the part the tape is wrapped around.
  • BrunoNM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I see, yes it's a good idea but actually it's two objects. Maybe I should try your first idea.
    Many thanks for your help !

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes I see, in this case the first suggestion would work better I think.