Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dragon Attack UE4 Environment

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys!

I've just made a start on a new project and I just wanted to get your thoughts on the composition.

My last few projects have all been based on existing concepts. This time I wanted to try and make something of my own from scratch, mainly to improve my composition and staging, as I feel like these are areas that need a lot of work for me.

Here's how it looks so far. I've made two variations of it so far. Currently working on a third one. I'll try and aim for 6 and then pick out what I think is the strongest. 

So this is just some mountains that I generated quickly in houdini, a few meshes that I brought over from my last project and a collection of boxes and cylinders, and some height fog for some depth.

The rough premise of this scene is that humans believe they have succeeded in exterminating the dragons and have created a huge statue (ideally something big and ostentatious for the focal point) in the castle courtyard to signify their victory, but the whole castle is a smoking ruin as evidence that they missed one.

I've watched several videos on the subject of composition and I feel like I have a grasp of the general principles, but it's tricky going about it on my own, so I would love and appreciate any thoughts you have on it to see if I'm heading in the right or wrong direction :)

Thanks!!!

Replies

• Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
    Had a bit of a rethink about the blockout. Felt as though it was all looking a bit too contrived, especially with the giant statue. 

I went back and tried a new approach. I wanted to keep with the dragon theme though, so I've tried to think a bit more about how humans (in a fantasy/medieval setting) would mount a defense against dragons. So I've decided to have the castle situated in a recess of a mountain, so it's high up and has cover above. There are towers with ballistae and I thought about having some kind of cabling shooting across the mountains to inhibit their flight. Need to be careful where these draw the eyes though. Might end up getting rid of them, but decided to keep them in for now :)

Just started to add some rough geo for the towers and gate