Home Adobe Substance

Wood Advice

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
NURBS polycounter lvl 3
Does anyone have any advice when making wood in Substance Painter/Designer? I struggle to find the right nodes/layers to use to get the look I want. Ho would you guys approach something like this?

This is the kind of wood I'm trying to recreate.

Replies

• gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    use a spherical projection and 3d projection tweaks in  Substance Painter   + any tile-able wood material /photo  whatever

or you could try to make wood material from 3d noises  in SDesigner (wouldn't be easy)
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I'd pick one from the plethora of substances share freebies and modify it's layers to suit my needs. Even if you totally rebuild it, at least that way you get a sense of some ways it can be done. Better than staring at an empty layer pallete scratching your head.

Pretty much any generic thing like this, I just go and see what the experts have already done first thing.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    a wood material in designer is pretty basic - all you do is warp a bunch of lines.

knots can be a touch tricky if you want to keep the whole thing fully parametric and have it work with any random seed (solving that is basically pointless and best reserved for obsessive fools like me to work out in the early hours of the morning)

the first google result for 'wood tutorial substance'  looks passable to me.  
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    My guess  OP issue is not how to make  a wood texture.  I think just a photo made tilable  would be ok  but rather how to project it across the seams  the way it would look like a 3d  structure  around the rifile handle .      IMO it should be a combination  of layers:  base one in stretched spherical projection     and scratches in  triplanar   or planar  maybe + masking of too stretched areas.