Home Career & Education

Huge Character Artist Opportunity... Imposter Syndrome Setting In

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
SDimitrius polycounter lvl 14
I recently had a HUGE opportunity sorta land in my lap, to work as a character artist on a very well known IP. Honestly, couldn't ask for a better setup... team seems amazing, and pay is good.

Now, I can't help but feel like I'm punching above my weight class and I start very soon =X 

Obviously, all I want to do is kick ass and take names, but I'm wondering if anyone else had similar experiences within their first few gigs in the game industry? And if you've any tips :D

Replies

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Its good to get out of your comfort zone, you learn the most that way so don't worry about it.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Just trust that the people who decided you were the right person for the job believe in you for a good reason. Assuming it's a good team, which it probably is, you will be supported along the way.. No one is setting you up for failure!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    once they give you some work to focus on you'll be busy and won't have time to worry about things like that. before you know it you'll be the one mean mugging noobs. 
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    happens to me almost every time i take a big leap in my career. Hit me when i became a lead lighting artist and then shortly after got promoted to environment art director. for me it really came down to recognizing I was second guessing myself and to just go all out and make the best of the opportunity. after a month of so of getting into the work, those fears went away. I say go for it and you won't regret it.  
  • SDimitrius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really appreciate the pep talk and each of your different takes on it :) Also helps knowing others go through these feelings as well.

Ill hit it hard, focus on the work, and hopefully come out on the other side in one piece haha

Cheers guys! @Zi0@Taylor Brown @Alex_J@PixelMasher
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    How many people have you deceived to reach this far? Only yourself, for thinking you are not worth it.
    Mic drop
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    good stuff, just try and enjoy it, no point in worrying
  • SDimitrius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    Two months have come and gone in a flash. Seems like you guys were all right in that I’d be too focused on the work to worry about any of this. And, also, that no one who hired me wants me to fail...The team im working with has been awesome. I definitely feel like im pushing the limits of my comfort zone and growing as a result. 

Just wanted to chime back in and thank everyone here!
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    focus_method polycounter lvl 4
    i would love to know when a 3d character has its value, when it's worth it ? so when you post it no matter where anybody wants to hire you
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i would love to know when a 3d character has its value, when it's worth it ? so when you post it no matter where anybody wants to hire you

i dont really understand that question. but i also dont think such a thing exists, if you wanna work at infinity ward or blizzard or even more stylized companies, the piece you create will not appeal to all of them the same way. No matter how well it is done.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You are searching for absolutes but there isn't any. 

I can go on artstation and find amazing character artist who make characters on hundred million dollar projects - but I won't hire them. Because that's not who I need for my specific projects.

Every person out there is hiring people to solve specific problems at a specific time. 

From keeping tabs on sketchbooks here I know that if the next game I make will have really cute little critters, there is a couple people I'd like to talk to. And if I need some help figuring out tech-art problems, there is a few guys that are good at that. 

That's all it is. Just be good at one thing and make sure that when people are looking for that one thing, they can find you. 

Personally I think it's good to diversify your skillset - especially in tech-world where so much changes so fast, it's good not to have all eggs in one basket. But I think once you develop core problem solving skills (or fundamentals of art skills) its pretty easy to pick up further skills.