Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Equalist Biplane - Feedback Welcome

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Celinecote polycounter lvl 3

What’s up guys, I’m currently working on a model of the Equalist biplane from the Legend of Korra. This will be a highpoly to lowpoly game asset, fully textured, and hopefully I can get to rendering in UE4. I want to make this thread for documentation and critique.

This biplane is a three-engine bomber with a dieselpunk aesthetic and presumably made from metal and fabric. I’m going for photorealism here so the model will not match the concept one for one since the show is simplified. Most parts are modeled after or inspired by real airplanes ranging anywhere from the early to mid 1900s. I want to make sure I'm actually looking at references instead of making things up out of my head. That's a habit I'm trying to break.

Here is the concept and current reference. My reference board is unfortunately a bit blurry but I could take higher res shots of individual pieces if anyone wants it.

Early Blockout

It's about the 10th day of me working on this. I’m starting to refine the highpoly from my blockout and slowly adding more details. Some areas such as the tail and cockpit have barely been touched so far. I've been focusing most of my attention on the front half of the model. I'm hoping to get done with the highpoly by the end of August.

Replies

• Celinecote
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got around to working on the cockpit. I just took elements of various aircraft and mashed them together. The instrument panel is largely based off the Sopwith F.1 Camel, the exposed structure is from the Stearman 75, The seat is from an unknown WW2 aircraft, and so on and so on. Still got to add a few more elements and polish/redo some areas. Wish I could have been recording hours instead of days spent on this. I have no good estimation of how long this took.

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Good progress on this. All of the shapes are easily readable, and look like they're bake out nicely. Really looking forward to seeing this asset finalized 
  • Celinecote
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank ya, very nice to hear